Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream 14
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I bought an HP Stream 14. It has so little disk space I can't even update my Windows 10. It seems ridiculous. Is there some sort of fix. Thx! Not sure if I have windows 10 64 or 32 bit.

143 REPLIES 143
HP Recommended

@RotoRod

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand you need more space as you are not able to install updates due to low space,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you attempt to disable hibernation to create free space?

While you respond to that, 

Follow the below steps to resolve Low Disk Space issues: 

• Run the Disk Cleanup tool, and then at the bottom of the window that pops up, click on "Clean up system files". Check everything, hit OK, and let it run. You will free up several GB for sure. 

• Another thing to do is disable hibernate file. Run CMD as Administrator, and type the following: 

• powercfg hibernate off 

• Enjoy your extra space! 

For a related link on HP Forums: Click here (Though the header/title may be different, the steps will help resolve your concern). 

Resolving Low Disk Space Errors: Click here  

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Is there any way for me to replace the lame internal drive with a larger one?  This is ridiculous.  Your chat support person referred me to Microsoft who said this device does not have a large enough capacity to do much of anything.  All I want to do is to look at the web and do email with it.  Period.  But it's so tiny, windows updates are filling it up.  I put in a micro SD chip (128) but that doesn't help me at all.  Short of taking the thing back, what should I do?

HP Recommended

Hi @harleycodr,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues performing updates on your HP Stream Notebook. Don't worry I'll do my best to help you with this.

Follow the below steps to resolve Low Disk Space issues: 

• Run the Disk Cleanup tool, and then at the bottom of the window that pops up, click on "Clean up system files". Check everything, hit OK, and let it run. You will free up several GB for sure. 

• Another thing to do is disable hibernate file. Run CMD as Administrator, and type the following: 

• powercfg hibernate off 

• Enjoy your extra space! 

For a related link on HP Forums: Click here (Though the header/title may be different, the steps will help resolve your concern). 

Resolving Low Disk Space Errors: Click here  

Alternatively, you can try the below steps to install the Windows updates or the Windows on the computer.

Hardware you'll need

Before you can install Windows 10 on a device with low free storage space, you'll need a few things:

• A second PC to create a bootable drive.
  • Two empty USB flash drives, each with at least 16GB in size.
  • Two free USB ports on your device.

• If your device has a Micro-USB port, then you'll need a USB On-The-Go (OTG) cable to adapt the Micro-USB port to a standard USB port.
    • If you only have one free USB port, you'll also need a basic USB hub with a least two ports .

How to create an installation drive for Windows 10 updates

For this process, you'll need a USB flash drive with the latest installation files of Windows 10, which you can create using the Media Creation Tool.

To create a bootable media, do the following:

1. Connect one of your USB flash drives to a PC other than the one you're trying to upgrade.
  2. Head over to the Microsoft support website to download the Media Creation Tool.
  3. Click the Download tool now button.
  4. Double-click the MediaCreationTool.exe file to launch the utility.
  5. Select the Create installation media for another PC option.
  6. Click Next to continue.

7. Select your language, edition, and architecture.

Quick Tip: If you're trying to update a small tablet with low storage, it's likely to be using a 32-bit architecture. You can quickly check the device architecture by going to Settings > Devices > About and double-checking the System type information.

8. Select the USB flash drive option.
  9. Click Next.

10. Select your USB flash drive from the list.
  11. Click Next.

12. Click Finish to complete the task.

How to install a Windows 10 update from a flash drive

To install feature updates of Windows 10, do the following:

1. If necessary for your device, connect the USB OTG cable and/or the USB hub.
  2. Connect both the USB flash drive with the Windows 10 installation files and the other empty USB flash drive.
  3. Double-click the Setup.exe file to launch the Windows 10 installation from the USB flash drive.
  4. Select the Keep personal files and apps option to only update your system.

5. If you get the "Windows needs more space" option, click the Choose another drive or attach an external drive with 10GB available link.
  6. Select your empty USB flash drive to serve as temporary storage.
  7. Click Refresh.

8. Click Install.

9. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process as necessary.

Note: Some devices may only have a single Micro-USB port that is used for both charging and data transfer, which can make the battery-draining update process somewhat tricky when you also need that port to connect your USB drives. Your device will reboot during the installation process, after the first reboot you will no longer need either flash drive or the USB hub to finish, so you can unplug those and connect your power cable. Of course, if your PC has a dedicated power port, you can just leave everything (power included) plugged in throughout the whole process.

After the installation completes and after a few black screens and reboots, you'll be back to your desktop once again. Because this is technically an upgrade, you won't need to go through the out-of-box experience to finish setting up Windows 10.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Personally the issue of not being able to update major versions of windows make these machines not fit for purpose.

*Yes they can be upgraded if you're competent, but this will mean a backup of user data and a complete reinstall of the OS cleanly.

Sad to say it but it seems they're not fit for purpose unless you're willing to pay a technician to upgrade the OS every time there is a major update. This is something we're coming across in our store more and more. (Not just with HP either).

Generally speaking due to the SSD style chip being onboard there is no hardware upgrade option available either.

Steve

HP Recommended

Is there any third party - or even a service available by HP - to send this thing in and have a larger "C drive" soldered in?  This really sucks.

HP Recommended

Not as far as I am aware, and likely wouldn't be cost effective.

Interestingly HP remove links to anyone who could help you with your machine ( I usually have my website as my signature but a mod removed it?)

This being the case I would advise you firstly ask HP and if after 7 days they have not assisted you return it to point of sale as 'not fit for purpose'.

I've 3 of them sitting in front of me now which I was going to upgrade, but I'll inform the customers of HP's attitude and advise them to return their Christmas presents.

Steve

www.northumberland-it.com

HP Recommended

If we're ever in a postition to have one of these left with we'll look over the board more closely and see if the surface mount chip can be replaced and give it a go. It could be that this chip isn't the only hurdle though as the chipset may be limited also.

It's a shame as they're quite a nice little unit, why HP didn't just stick in a 64gb or 128gb drive is beyond me as users would be a lot happier - instead of feeling like they've been stung right after purchase, because lets face it, from leaving the factory to arriving with the customer there is inevitably going to be a major upgrade - in this case the Creators Fall Upgrade.

PS Mod, check my site, check my reviews, 35 years of actual experience. I'm an asset here who can assist HP users get out of sticky situations such as these but it works both ways.

Steve

HP Recommended

I have followed the steps to free up disc space on my HP Stream.  While trying to turn off hibernation mode, I received the following error:  "Unable to perform operation.  An unexpected error (0x65b) has occured.  Function failed during execution.  

I cleaned up disc space following the steps listed, and am still receiving the same error message of not have enough disc space to install the update.  

I bought an HP computer this time, because of what I had heard from other HP owners about the quality product, but so far, I'm not impressed with it.  And considering that I only bought this 2 months ago, I am LESS than a happy customer.

Please advise as to what I may be doing wrong, so that I can properly update my system.  I'm not an analyst, and do not know code other than simple commands.

HP Recommended

@Sylly18 wrote:

I have followed the steps to free up disc space on my HP Stream.  While trying to turn off hibernation mode, I received the following error:  "Unable to perform operation.  An unexpected error (0x65b) has occured.  Function failed during execution.  

I cleaned up disc space following the steps listed, and am still receiving the same error message of not have enough disc space to install the update.  

I bought an HP computer this time, because of what I had heard from other HP owners about the quality product, but so far, I'm not impressed with it.  And considering that I only bought this 2 months ago, I am LESS than a happy customer.

Please advise as to what I may be doing wrong, so that I can properly update my system.  I'm not an analyst, and do not know code other than simple commands.

if you have followed all the steps in https://www.windowscentral.com/best-7-ways-free-hard-drive-space-windows-10 then there is not much else you can do.

This is not just a HP issue. Dell, Lenovo, Acer, etc all sell these laptops with just the 32 GB eMMC hard drive. They try to drive down the price point, but this is the mess that happens. Microsoft is complicit in this. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.