Did you mean: 
ICantThinkofaBe
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

OS corrupted, winmagic blocking data recovery

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

So my Pro book recently experienced the 0xc000000f OS corruption error.  It's Windows 7 pro, which is no longer supported.  I have no disks of the OS to fix it.  Trying to get the hard drive copied to salvage data.  Can't because Winmagic encryption is blocking it.  Just upgrading to 10 will destroy my data.  Any way to salvage this?

1 REPLY 1
IT_WinSec
Level 15
Level 15
9,923 9,817 795 3,788
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @ICantThinkofaBe 

I can provide you with a way (unofficial way) to download Windows 7 installation media [check the enclosed PDF file below]

... but this will not work due to the encryption. You cannot perform OS repairs if there is "an encryption layer" applied. Your disk must first be decrypted before you perform OS reinstallation.

I am not  very familiar with WinMagic products but you may seek support from them in ways to decrypt your data >> https://www.winmagic.com/support/contact-support

Generally speaking, it is always recommended that you always keep a copy of your data outside your PC. Encryption is there to protect your data from unauthorized access of your PC (like unwanted people or PC theft). You should always have a copy of your data elsewhere, like on a USB pendrive, USB external HDD, on a cloud drive (OneDrive, GoogleDrive, Dropbox, etc)...

For security reasons, you should also run a support version of your OS. Nowadays this means Windows 10. I would recommend you consider the Pro or Enterprise LTSC editions

** I am an HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** My location: Europe *** HP Expert - Volunteer
** Click below on Accept As Solution and ThumbUp+ buttons if my comments helped or to say thanks.
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation