Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

So my Pro book recently experienced the 0xc000000f OS corruption error.  It's Windows 7 pro, which is no longer supported.  I have no disks of the OS to fix it.  Trying to get the hard drive copied to salvage data.  Can't because Winmagic encryption is blocking it.  Just upgrading to 10 will destroy my data.  Any way to salvage this?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello @ICantThinkofaBe 

I can provide you with a way (unofficial way) to download Windows 7 installation media [check the enclosed PDF file below]

... but this will not work due to the encryption. You cannot perform OS repairs if there is "an encryption layer" applied. Your disk must first be decrypted before you perform OS reinstallation.

I am not  very familiar with WinMagic products but you may seek support from them in ways to decrypt your data >> https://www.winmagic.com/support/contact-support

Generally speaking, it is always recommended that you always keep a copy of your data outside your PC. Encryption is there to protect your data from unauthorized access of your PC (like unwanted people or PC theft). You should always have a copy of your data elsewhere, like on a USB pendrive, USB external HDD, on a cloud drive (OneDrive, GoogleDrive, Dropbox, etc)...

For security reasons, you should also run a support version of your OS. Nowadays this means Windows 10. I would recommend you consider the Pro or Enterprise LTSC editions

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.