Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm having trouble getting my laptop to actually shut down. This is an HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15 upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, i7-7500U 16GB RAM on build 15063.540. Upon going to the start menu and clicking shut down, the laptop shuts down then immedietly reboots.

So far I have attempted every update that is for the laptop with all being successful. I have completely reinstalled Windows 10 to no avail using both HP Recovery and a fresh copy of windows via a thumb drive. 

Upon each shut down, it goes into the screen saying Shutting Down with the spinning dots. The screen goes away, you can hear everything fully shut down then a few seconds later the laptop boots again by itself. I have inspected the Event Viewer and there are no critical or warning level events, only informational events. Each shut down generates between 10 - 20 events which include:  Winlogon 7002, Win32k 267, Kernel-Power 42, Kernel-Power 107, Kernel-General 1, ISH_BusDriver 2, Kernel-Boot 30, Kernel-Boot 18, Kernel-Boot 32, Kernel-Boot 25, Kernel-Boot 27, ISH 1, Power-Troubleshooter 1, Winlogon 7001 (Event source followed by the Event ID). 
event viewer laptop1.PNG

This issues has been going on since I have gotten the laptop. It went unoticed at first but realized my battery was always dying while it was in my bag. Shutdown while I wasn't in a rush one day before lunch and realized it booted itself right back up. I will be taking the laptop out of town with me for work this week and was hoping for a fix to make this more usable on the road. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have spaced updating this post but the problem was actually hardware related. I was forced to send my laptop back to HP where they replaced the entire motherboard. No one relayed what exactly the caused the problem.

I went through all bios settings and windows settings prior to engaging HP and with HP support. Also went through all hardware checks with HP, of which none failed. This leads me to believe it was a small component that isn't tested causing a energy build up or failed release upon shut down. 

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
HP Recommended

@hsmith199

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you

As I understand the computer doesn't turn off or turns right back on while attempting to perform a proper shutdown,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you check power options and ensure the PC isn't set to hibernate or sleep instead of shutdown under choose what the power button does?

Have you disabled hybrid sleep from the power options > advanced options?

While you respond to that, here are a few other things that should resolve the issue:

First, hold down the power button for 10 seconds before releasing it.

Press the power button and see if the notebook now starts.

If it does, let it fully load into Windows and then try disabling Windows 10 hybrid boot - you can do this as follows.

Open Settings and select System.  Select Power and sleep, then click on Additional power settings - in the following window, click on 'Choose what the power button does' in the left-hand pane.

In the subsequent window, first, click on 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' ( near the top of the Window ) and then remove the checkmark from the box against 'Turn on fast start-up (recommended)'.  Click the Save Settings button, then close any open windows and shut down the notebook by right click the Start Menu icon, select Command Prompt (Admin) and click ‘Yes’ to the UAC prompt.

Type ( or copy and paste ) in the following command ( including spaces ) and hit enter.

shutdown /s /t 0

Start the notebook and let Windows fully load for a couple of minutes before checking if it will now shut down correctly from the Start Menu.

If this has corrected the issue, it may be worth turning Fast Start-up back on – sometimes just deleting and recreating the file will resolve the problem.

If the issue (with the sleep & hibernation) persists: CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(by the end of this document, all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was out of town for work but I am now back and attempted your solutions. 

I have checked power options to ensure the PC is not set to hibernate or sleep. Either way, this should not affect the function of going to the start menu and choosing shut down. 

I have assured that Hybrid Sleep is turned off.

I have run through the steps and have turned off hybrid boot. Upon putting in the command for shutdown /s /t 0 it actually turned itself back on as well. I attempted a shut down via start menu afterwards as the instructions say and it booted back up right away again. 

Again, I have already fully reloaded windows onto this laptop. 

The event viewer is showing a single event at a warning level sourced from Kernel-Processor-Power event ID 37 with a general descriptiong of "The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report."

HP Recommended

@hsmith199

This sounds like a hardware issue. Immediately after powering on start tapping the Esc key. This will open a menu where F2 System Diagnostics is an option. Tap F2 key and run the component tests.

Contact HP to request warranty support:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

@CherylG

I went to the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI menu (F2 from list) and ran both the Memory Test and Hard Drive Check. Both came back with passing statuses. The only other options on this menu are Language and Exit. Am I missing options for further testing?

Edit: Realized that the HP UEFI software was uninstalled when I reloaded windows the second time around. I have reinstalled it and ran every component test in quick mode and RAM in Extensive mode. None of the test have came back with a problem. 

HP Recommended

@hsmith199

Do you have the latest BIOS from your Support page?

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Yes, I am running the latest update of the BIOS for this system. All other drivers are also up to date minus the touchpad which I switched over to Precision. This issue was going before and after the Precision touchpad switch over so this had nothing to do with the issue. 

HP Recommended

Did you resolve this issue?  I am experiencing the same problem.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with my spectre x360.  Setting the BIOS to default settings fixed it.   Hit esc when booting, then F10 to enter BIOS Menu.  I think the drop down menu on the far right has a selection to reset your bios setting to default.  F10 press yes to save and exit.  Hope it helps.

HP Recommended

I have spaced updating this post but the problem was actually hardware related. I was forced to send my laptop back to HP where they replaced the entire motherboard. No one relayed what exactly the caused the problem.

I went through all bios settings and windows settings prior to engaging HP and with HP support. Also went through all hardware checks with HP, of which none failed. This leads me to believe it was a small component that isn't tested causing a energy build up or failed release upon shut down. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.