Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

On my dv6t laptop, I let the HP auto-update software install whatever it wanted to update. After it did it, an icon related to Simplepass is pinned to the taskbar and I can't get rid of it.  Right-clicking and selecting "Unpin this program from the taskbar" does nothing.  How do I get rid of it. I want to keep the program. But don't want the icon pinned to the taskbar. 

Then, when I opened Microsoft Excel, it said that a hardware change had been detected and that I have to re-activate. Why would this happen?  How can I keep it from happening again. Is it better to just never let HP update anything?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I tried something along the lines of what aperez1221 suggested and it seems to be an acceptable solution. I wasn't sure what you meant by "unchecking the simple pass site box."  So I opend SimplePass and went into the settings.  I unchecked everything under "Enable Features' and then tried re-checking them one by one.  I determined that disabling only LaunchSite solves the problem and seems to leave the program working the way it did before.  So thank you aperez1221 for pointing me in the right direction. 

I'm not sure what I'm missing out on by disabling LaunchSite.  This solution may not work for anyone who uses the features enabled by LaunchSite. I haven't figured out what those features are. It seems to be QuickLaunch that lets me swipe a finger to open a program or a web site (in a new browswer window). And I can still login to websites using my finger as well.  So with just LaunchSite disabled, SimplePass does what it did before and no longer re-pins itself to the taskbar. 

I've left this open for now in case someone has a solution that doesn't require disabling LaunchSite, whatever that does.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended
Hello jrl,

Is it pinned to the taskbar, or is it in the system tray? I don't have an explanation of why it is behaving as it is. I would suggest a system restore to a previous point, then perform the updates again. Perhaps it will behave differently the second time.

I would send you a specific link to help you with this, but you didn't specify which dv6t you have. If you reply back with this info, I'll be happy to help however I can.

Thanks,
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

I have the same issue on my Pavilion dv7

After the update, the icon for SimplePass LaunchSite is pinned to the taskbar. It is possible to unpin the icon from the taskbar, but it re-appears after the next logon.

How can I permanently unpin it from the taskbar?

Any suggestions are highly appreciated

TIA

HP Recommended

The SimplePass icon is pinned to the taskbar. It's not in the system tray. Here's a more complete- explanation of what happens.  When I start the computer, the SimplePass icon appears pinned to the taskbar. Right-clicking the icon in the task bar gives 3 choices, "SimplePass" (which opens SimplePass where you can assign things to different fingers, etc), "SimplePass LaunchSite" (which pops up a little message that says "No need to click, simply swipe your finger over the sensor to open LaunchSite"...it doesn't do anything other than display this message), and ""Unpin this program from the taskbar."  If I select "Unpin this program from the taskbar," the program is successfully unpinned from the taskbar--initially.  The program works as it is supposed to.  However, if I restart or have to log in for any reason (e.g., if I lock it using the windows key - L), as soon as I log back in, the SimplePass reapers pinned to the taskbar. This happens whether I log in using the fingerprint reader or if I don't touch the fingerprint reader and instead type in my password--in both cases, the SimplePass icon reappears pinned to the taskbar.

HP Recommended

Hello, I was able to remove the icon by going into the settings and unchecking the simple pass site box.  Of course, this would probably disable the simplepass for quick launch, etc.  but that took it away for me.  I really only use it to log on to my machine.  At any rate, this is an option I would suggest to get rid of the icon.

HP Recommended
Thank you aperez1221 for your fix. jrl - did you try this fix?
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

I tried something along the lines of what aperez1221 suggested and it seems to be an acceptable solution. I wasn't sure what you meant by "unchecking the simple pass site box."  So I opend SimplePass and went into the settings.  I unchecked everything under "Enable Features' and then tried re-checking them one by one.  I determined that disabling only LaunchSite solves the problem and seems to leave the program working the way it did before.  So thank you aperez1221 for pointing me in the right direction. 

I'm not sure what I'm missing out on by disabling LaunchSite.  This solution may not work for anyone who uses the features enabled by LaunchSite. I haven't figured out what those features are. It seems to be QuickLaunch that lets me swipe a finger to open a program or a web site (in a new browswer window). And I can still login to websites using my finger as well.  So with just LaunchSite disabled, SimplePass does what it did before and no longer re-pins itself to the taskbar. 

I've left this open for now in case someone has a solution that doesn't require disabling LaunchSite, whatever that does.

HP Recommended
Excellent! Thank you jrl for following up and letting me know the results!
Signature
HP Recommended

Is there a way to get to the settings without activating the SimplePass program? I don't want to use this program at all right now, but can't find the options menu that would allow me to disable its pinning itself to the task bar all the time. Thanks for any help!

HP Recommended

How do you get to settings?  I never did initial setup, do I have to do so before settings is available?  I really just don't want to use this program.  Do not want to remove because may wish to in the future.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.