Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had the issue since I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit since July 29th. Once I have used my PC for more than 15 minutes, it never shuts down. I have to use the power button to turn it off. The research I have done indicates many of the quick fixes mentioned by others regarding this issue. There was an interesting article in October 2014 in which those who were tasked with running Windows 10 thru its paces before the release date identified this as an issue. Microsoft issued KB3010668 to address this issue. However, no one seems to have a clue where this KB is presently.  With so many HP users having this problem, one would think HP would voice its concerns to Microsoft. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

well let me clearify if when u upgraded window 10 its bios version was resetted to orignal or stock or watever u want to say but now if u update ur bios from hp website and install it the shut down problem willl be slolved automatically 
if u find this helpfull please click on kudos

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40
HP Recommended

@mebskivt wrote:

I have had the issue since I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit since July 29th. Once I have used my PC for more than 15 minutes, it never shuts down. I have to use the power button to turn it off. The research I have done indicates many of the quick fixes mentioned by others regarding this issue. There was an interesting article in October 2014 in which those who were tasked with running Windows 10 thru its paces before the release date identified this as an issue. Microsoft issued KB3010668 to address this issue. However, no one seems to have a clue where this KB is presently.  With so many HP users having this problem, one would think HP would voice its concerns to Microsoft. 

HP don't care, if they did they would have released an official statement before the upgrades people have done!

HP Recommended

Same problem here.  Would not of updated to Windows 10 if I new this would happen.

Tried the unchecking the "Turn on fast start-up" option in power setting, but does not work.

According to MS, there is some incompatible app preventing shutdown.

HP Recommended

Ok, I had a similar issue where my Envy 15 won't shut down and I had to hold the power button for 5 seconds to shut it down, hence I contacted HP Support who basically just updated my integrated graphics card drivers. You can do the same by searching Device Manager in Control Panel. Once you get there, expand DIsplay Drivers, right click on the graphics card name and click on Update Driver Sotware.

NOTE: for me the graphic card name was Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, it might be diferent in your case. Also many laptops have more than one graphics card by companies like Nvidia/AMD, etc but we are trying to update the integrated one. If you have any confusions, reply to my post with a screen shot so that i can tell you which one to update. 

HP Recommended

I'm sorry to tell you that this is a temporary solution, I did that a few days ago and it worked well for a few minutes and then started with the same issue again. My computer is an HP ENVY 15 x360 and the power button still lightning after I shut down the computer.

HP Recommended

Huh, lets see how long until I hit the same road as yours. I will update the post in a 48 hours or before if the problem recurs

HP Recommended

Update: Yep, its back to the same stupid stage 😞

HP Recommended

Did Method two and it seemed to work after a full shut down and reboot.

http://wind8apps.com/solve-windows-8-1-windows-10-shutdown-problems/

Method two:

1. Press and hold the button “Windows” and the button “X”.
  2. After you opened up the menu you will have to left click on the “Command Prompt as Administrator” to open it.
  3. In the command prompt window you will need to write the following line “bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes” without the quotes. Note: Be sure to type the command exactly how it is written above and include a space between the line “bcdedit /set disabledynamictick” and the “yes” word.
  4. Press the “Enter” button on the keyboard.
  5. Reboot the Windows 8.1 or the Windows 10 device and see if you still have this issue.
HP Recommended

No luck here, did the exact thing without the quotes and with the spaces. Still having the same issues 😞

HP Recommended

Did MS give you any indication which app that may be?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.