Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-ab137ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Ran a BIOS update which was a solution provided on this forum to prevent the Startup Menu from showing up each time I boot the machine. Said it was going to change from F16 to F10. Now it has been stuck on BIOS Management screen for 30 minutes. Screen says, The System BIOS is being updated. This update will take a few minutes to complete. Do not shut down or remove external power from your computer during the process. Verifying new BIOS image. Block 2048/2048. Progress 100%. How much longer should I wait?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey!

I am glad that you are back into your Notebook. 

Is this the screen below that you are referring to?

startupmenu.jpg

All HP and Compaq computers that were manufactured with Windows 10 can use Secure Boot. Secure Boot is enabled by default on these computers.

If the picture above is indeed what you are referring to, please take a look at the Secure Boot documentation. You will see a section called Disabling Secure Boot... this should help you with the start up menu. 

I hope that this helps!

Please let me know! 

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hey @cgruchy11, 

Thank you for joining in the HP Support Forums and asking for help with the BIOS Update on your HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab137ca that you are stuck on. 

Did you manage to get the BIOS Update to finish? 

Is it the BIOS Startup menu that you are trying to have not come up when you start the Notebook?

The Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) is responsible for setting up devices used by your system so that those devices can send and receive data. The BIOS does a checklist on your hardware to make sure everything is functioning properly to be able to continue to the Operating System. 

Updating the BIOS, also known as "flashing the BIOS," replaces the BIOS firmware. When completed successfully, a BIOS update can fix or enhance aspects of a notebook's performance, or provide support for newly installed hardware.

However, if an incorrect update is installed or if the update process is interrupted, the motherboard can be permanently damaged, leaving the computer unable to boot. It is recommended to update your BIOS only if one or more of the following conditions apply:

• The update fixes a problem with your computer.

• The update enhances your computer's performance in a desired way.

• You are planning to change the operating system, processor, or other feature(s), and the current BIOS version will not support the new configuration.

• An HP Support Agent, or an HP support document, recommends that you download and install a specific updated BIOS.

If the update has failed, many HP notebook computers have an HP BIOS Restore tool to recover the BIOS from an earlier version and restore basic functionality. Please use the document provided above to reload the factory installed BIOS Setup settings. 

If this reply resolves your issue, please share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button at the bottom of this post. 

To simply say thanks, please click the Thumbs up below! Smiley Happy
If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to do more research and help provide a resolution. 

Have a great day!

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

After 5 hours I gave up and hit the power off button.  I powered on again and it went through a DOS like screen doing the same BIOS update but this time it completed.  Computer fine for a day but now the old problem has arisen where the Starup Screen appears when I boot up the machine rather than continuing to the login screen.  Just a little annoyance, not a big deal as I simply hit the enter button to continue.  But I would like it to be gone.  Time to start another thread!

HP Recommended

Hey!

I am glad that you are back into your Notebook. 

Is this the screen below that you are referring to?

startupmenu.jpg

All HP and Compaq computers that were manufactured with Windows 10 can use Secure Boot. Secure Boot is enabled by default on these computers.

If the picture above is indeed what you are referring to, please take a look at the Secure Boot documentation. You will see a section called Disabling Secure Boot... this should help you with the start up menu. 

I hope that this helps!

Please let me know! 

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind if it happens again.  I thought I'd try removing the battery and putting it back and that solved the issue.

HP Recommended

Great! I am glad to hear that you were able to resolve the issue!

Absolutely! If you run into any other encounters and need help, we are always here to do what we can :). 

Take care. 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
My laptop is stuck on bios update utility for almost a hour. What should I do.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.