Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

If you've ever backed up your files and been unable to access the data you know it can be very frustrating.  Often times users will attempt to retrieve their data from the discs only to find that one of the discs does not work.  At first glance this appears to mean that you can not get back to your data.  Luckily there is a workaround.

This thread applies to backup CDs created using the "backup" feature of the HP System Recovery available through the F11 menu during boot.  For more information on this feature take a look at this document.

You will need to download and install 7-ZIP.  Here is a direct link to their site.

After installing 7-ZIP launch the program and navigate to your CD drive.  You should then see a series of files named *number*.WIM.  Double click on the first of these files and it will open showing your C: drive.  You can then navigate through the files and select the ones you'd like to keep.  To keep the files simply select them and click the "extract" button at the top of the application.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I hope some of you find this helpful!  🙂

kitten.jpeg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

I hope some of you find this helpful!  🙂

kitten.jpeg

HP Recommended

Hello, so I backed up my files using dvds in the HP System Restore Manager. I've restored my computer to its factory state and now I can't restore my files back onto to my computer. The DVD opens to files and towards the end the Recovery Manager. I opened it and started the recovery process, problem is its been a 0% for more than two hours! I've started this process over and over again but it is still the same thing. I need help ASAP!

Thanks

HP Recommended
Could you please give me the exact product number for your computer? What version of Windows are you using?

If you need help finding it, you can use the following link:

Thanks,

Kyle
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended
It's a G56-127Nr and it's windows 7
HP Recommended

I can't retrieve my backup files from a flashdrive they were saved on. I can view and acces the files, just can't get them back on my comuter.

HP Recommended

Sorry forgot this info. I have a HP Pavillion g7, with Windows 7

HP Recommended
please is anyone out there and go to help me out with this issue The DVD opens to files and towards the end the Recovery Manager. I opened it and started the recovery process, problem is its been a 0% for more than two hours! I've started this process over and over again but it is still the same thing. I need help ASAP!pls help ive been tring since last night nothing is working

HP Recommended
I have gotten through 84% of the back up files when it asks me to insert disk 2, the computer immediatly spits it back out and repetes the message. I ended up on one board which said to continue doing this because the computer may be having trouble recognizing it however after the 200th time I am convinced that is not the right advice. The recovery manager from F11 was the system that created the 2 disks and they are both readable, just not able to open as they are *number*wim. Any help would be appreciated!
HP Recommended

Thsanks again sparkles1. I tried that download and the only file &-Zip and there are no files that can be exreated thar contaain my lost pst (email files) word. Ppy, pdf, or Xl

Thanks

Kind regards,

Cybersense

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.