Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
I am not sure?
Okay so I have a HP laptop, operated by Windows 10. I was using it the other day, when suddenly the screen turned black, and since hasn't worked. I had trouble at first, but I can easily load the homepage now, with apps such as my files and Google. The load up is slow, but works. Despite this, apps won't load. I can't launch Google, my files, even my anti virus software. I assumed it was virus, however whatever I try to repair the laptop fails. I have tried draining the static electricity, restarting the laptop, launching safe mode, all of the troubleshooting methods, each fails. One time, my anti virus software offered for me to restart the laptop, to which worked and then allowed me to open my apps, but nothing has worked since. ( the laptop soon froze and after ages of waiting I had to turn it off) I was wondering if anyone knew of ways to help me, or even why this is happening. I'd rather not loose files, but if it's the only option, I will do so. I have researched ways to repair this, and nothing has worked and I'm pretty tired of wasting my time doing pointless tasks which will fail. Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hey @vause, 

Thank you for joining in on the HP Support Forums.This is a great place to ask questions, find solutions and get help from others in the community! I understand that you are unable to open apps and that you had received a black screen on one point. 

Have you tried to right click on the App and click "Enable"

Have you tried running the Apps troubleshooter?

Have you tried doing all of your Windows Updates?

Here is a document for you to try. It is called Troubleshoot problems with an app

You will see in the document from Microsoft, that it says to try the Apps Troubleshooter first. If the Apps Troubleshooter does not work, it will give you additional steps to try such as: 

• Make sure your PC is up to date
  • Make sure the app isn't blocked by Windows Firewall
  • Check with your System Admin
  • Make sure your apps are up to date
  • Sync App licenses
  • Reinstall the App. 

Did you receive any error messages?

Have you done a BIOS reset?

What happens when you try to go into Safe Mode?

Have you tried to perform a clean boot?

Please try and do a Hardware Test. HP provides diagnostic software that you can use to test hardware components on your computer; to rule out or confirm hardware failures when something is wrong. 

This is a great question other customers may also be wondering about. When we have come to a resolution, please share what worked for you with others by marking this post as an Accepted Solution. If you would like to show your appreciation for my efforts today, please take a second to click the Thumbs Up button below. 

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting and your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?) so that I can look into more specific documentation and product specifications. 

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem. I got a HP Elitebook from someone but the os is different that what I would normally use. It has the unbuntu os but I cant launch any of my apps either. I am just trying to get my computer fixed so I can get back to school.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.