Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360

Great laptop, put it through a lot of testing in my first weekend of owning it and I'm quite pleased overall.

This issue has nothing to do with the laptop itself but rather the included sleeve, which I'm also pleased was included as other brands/models I checked out did not include a sleeve.

However... it smells really awful.  I mean it's really an exceptionally terrible rubbery type odor.  And it's not as if it's only when I put my nose up to it or even handle it.  It can just be sitting a few feet away from me and I smell it.  I tried washing it by hand, figuring it's just an extreme example of factory chemicals or materials not being completely washed away before packaging.  This act may have reducded the smell by 20-25%, but the stench was still very noticeable so I put it through a wash in the washing machine.  Again, it's possible it's reduced the smell down to 50% of what it started as, but it's still pretty ridiculous how bad this thing smells.

Has anyone had the same experience?  Have you had better luck in removing the smell?  I'm sure someone will suggest that it's free and maybe not worth the effort and therefore to just look into a different sleeve but I like it aside from the odor and would like to be able to keep it for some extra protection / padding even once I decide on a method for carrying the device around if possible.  But it will not be worth it if I can't get rid of the odor.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I agree with you the sleeve smells really bad.

HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks, I was contacted by customer service and they were very helpful.  Please consider this resolved.

HP Recommended

I agree completely, it quickly makes whatever room it is in smell like a warehouse full of new tires! We just received a new Spectre x360 a week ago on June 27th.

We have the sleeve in the garage hoping the smell will eventually go away. It has been a week and the odor is still pretty bad but moving in the right direction.

What was your resolution?

The sleeve odor is the only complaint, the x360 is absolutely everything we hoped it would be. Well done!

HP Recommended

My sleeve is just delivered and just the same here. The smell is just terrible...

Does anyone has already a solution...??

HP Recommended

Sadly, no. No follow-up from HP. With one exception they seem to be ignoring these postings.

After 9 months in the garage the sleeve odor has calmed down quite a bit, but it still smells like a new tire and you don't have to get your nose right over it to notice the odor.

HP Recommended

Yup same here it smslls like fish its a very nice thing to include but if its going to smell like dead fish then im not sure why they even include it. 😞 not satisfide with that sleeve at all. the laptop is nice though Spctre x360. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.