Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-dy1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 in S Mode

I just got a new laptop in the mail. It's an HP 15.6" Touch-Screen Intel Core i5 12 GB memory 256 GB SSD. So far, I'm loving my new laptop and how it feels. I just have one problem - I can't get out of S Mode. When I try to switch out, the Microsoft Store doesn't give me the option to click the "Get" button, and says to contact IT or the system administrator. But the thing is, *Emperor Palpatine voice* I am the administrator! Here's what I've tried to do to solve the problem:

• Logged off of the Microsoft store, logged back on

• Searched Google and various subreddits to see how I can get out of S mode

• Installed all of the updates from the Microsoft store

• Reinstalled Windows 10 Twice
  • Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro for $99

I need to get out of S Mode in order to install the Adobe Creative Cloud Suite as well as Google Chrome.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@JordanBlossey

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are unable to switch out of Windows S mode.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

NOTE: Windows 10 in S mode is designed for security and performance, exclusively running apps from the Microsoft Store. If you want to install an app that isn't available in the Microsoft Store, you'll need to switch out of S mode. Switching out of S mode is one-way. If you make the switch, you won't be able to go back to Windows 10 in S mode. There's no charge to switch out of S mode.

1. On your PC running Windows 10 in S mode, open Settings  > Update & Security  > Activation.
  2. In the Switch to Windows 10 Home or Switch to Windows 10 Pro section, select Go to the Store. (If you also see an "Upgrade your edition of Windows" section, be careful not to click the "Go to the Store" link that appears there.)
  3. On the Switch out of S mode (or similar) page that appears in the Microsoft Store, select the Get button. After you see a confirmation message on the page, you'll be able to install apps from outside of the Microsoft Store.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.