Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Issue Solved. For my product, HP had put this option in Bios.
Here's the link.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02035108

HP Recommended

I found later the keyboard has a "Fn lock" key whose status seem to survive a reboot.

But that's borring to have the led enabled when function keys are ON. This should be:

Fn lock ON i.e. multimedia keys OFF : led OFF as on a desktop keyboard

Fn lock OFF, i.e. multimedia keys ON : led ON

HP Recommended

After reading this post I want (like everybody else) the BIOS option back to disable this "feature" instead of having to use the 3 stroke key combination [CTRL][Shift][FN] to set this every time I start my Zbook

HP Recommended

After testing a bit more I found out that this key combination disables the Fn all together.

If you now want to e.g. disablpe the speaker you first have the enable the Fn key again and then press F5 to switch the speaker on or off and than AGAIN disable the Fn key to continue working as normally

This is redicules behaviour. HP please fix.

HP Recommended

When you have FnLock ON (Fn led ON), Fn+F5 should toggle the relevant feature (here, set the volume).

Then hitting simple F2 in Calc or Excel would enable cell edit mode, simple F3 should trigger "seach next" everywhere, a simple AlT+F4 and Ctrl+F4 would close the active App and file, simple F5 would refresh, simple F9 would trigger Send/receive all in mailers (at least Outlook) and so on. No more need to use complex combos like Alt+Fn+F4.

Only the seldom use cases of switching laptop specific features would require the help of the Fn key as intended like when this key was introduced in earlier laptops.

At least the default behaviour would be restored on professionnal laptops where setting the volume up and down is the least used feature.

HP Recommended

I have a Probook 430 G6 with Windows 10 Professional (1809 before, now 1903) but I really wasn't able to get Function keys working without pressing Fn before. I have "block fn" on left shift but I tried everything and fn led never turns on and I still have to press fn+F5 for refreshing web pages (as an example)...

What should I do?

HP Recommended

I solved it with a firmware downgrade from 01.03.00 Rev.A to 01.02.00 Rev.A

HP Recommended

IIRC the combo to lock Fn is Shift+Fn

HP Recommended

I downgraded BIOS as you said and now worked FN+Shift Combination works flawlessy.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.