Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Will  I be able to connect a Sansung Monitor with HDMI port to my HP Spectre by using a 

HP Adapter for USB-C Laptops (USB-C to HDMI), best described in the link below:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Adapter-USB-C-Laptops-HDMI/dp/B01AS8UEEK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&...

Thank you for any valuable information.  

Anette

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Anette7,

Thanks for stopping by the HP community. A very good day to you. 🙂 I reviewed the post regarding using Type C to HDMI adapter to extend the video to an external screen. I will be delighted to assist you here. 🙂

Superb description and stupendous diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂 You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you with it.

To assist you better, I would require more information regarding this.

• Please let me know the complete model# of the computer to assist you better.

Your Spectre should have an HDMI port which can be used to connect it to an external monitor via HDMI cable.
  • Usually, in HP consumer notebooks, the Type C USB port is used for fast charging and not to extend audio or video to an external screen.
  • So using the USB type C adapter shown from the link on Amazon may not work. I am being candid about it and not beating around the bush.
  • Please check this document: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04723006   for more information and assistance.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a terrific week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi David,

Thank you for your previous reply.  The model of my Spectre is: 13-ac023dx.  I am not able to find a HDMI port on the specified model.   No idea where this could be   If the type C USB port is only to power the laptop, I have no idea how to hook it to my Sansumg monitor.  Please help.  Thanks a lot.  

HP Recommended

Hi @Anette7,

I reviewed the post completely.  You've displayed commendable patience, great effort and splendid patience to try and get the issue resolved. Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂

I checked the product specifications of the computer from his link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05385406 It does not look like having an HDMI port. 

The external ports that get listed are:

external ports:

1 headphone/microphone combo; 2 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 2 (Thunderbolt, Data up to 40 GB/s, Power Delivery, DP1.2, HP Sleep and Charge); 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (HP Sleep and Charge)

So you could give the Type "C" adapter a shot. But there are no guarantees that it will work. Buy only the HP Type C to HDMI adapter and if it does not work, you could always return it within the Amazon return window.

You've been simply amazing and meticulous in your troubleshooting paying thorough attention to detail. 🙂 Brilliant stuff. 🙂 Kudos to you for that. 

You've done great here. Trust me I've done everything I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind.

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hy David, thank you once again for your reply.

I'm in Brazil and I have to buy the HP type C adapter here and will not be able to return it, once here refunds and exchange policies are very different from those in the US.

I am not completely satisfy with your suggestion of "giving the HP type C a shot" , as I am not talking about any adapter, but a HP one.  If I have a HP Spectre trying to connect it to a HP type C adapter in order to have my monitor working with my laptop, HP should be able to tell me whether they will work together or not.  Both pieces should be tested together at your premices in order to sort out my doubts.  By now, I kind of regreting having bought a Spectre with only two type C ports  that you say might not work with a HP adapter and no HDMI port.  :Crying:

HP Recommended

@Anette7

It looks like you were interacting with @DavidSMP, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

I've reviewed your post and it seems like the tech had informed you that the setup should work using this link: Click here to view it (again),

(Look under Features and compatibility for USB Type-C Hosts and Accessories).

Let me know how that works out, keep me in the loop and Good luck! 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have a HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ap0xxx and love it. But for some reason I cannot attach an external monitor. The USB hub allows everythign else to connet bit the HDMI. It was working intermittently and  I had a support from HP and they installeddriver update sp99483 and that didnt work and thn they tried sp97051 and that had stopped it working completely. they keep telling they will call back and they do not. the laptop is only a month old. Can anyone assist please?

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.