Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I see quite desperate mood in here. Rightfully so. HP caused a mess, damaged working laptops and is cowardly nowhere to be seen...

I think all affected, even out of warranty, should call support and demand a fix, either downgrade to F.17 or whichever BIOS you had before the F.19... or motherboard replacement... laptop replacement included. Yes, laptop replacement. Trust me this option is also on the table. Do NOT give up. 

I'm not going to bother with display driver update, not now, not soon. I had a working laptop before F.19 update and I'd never settle for anything less. In or out of warranty HP has a duty to deal with it. Recent warranty expiration should be treated as in warranty. This is a new laptop anyways.

Those out of options at this point (no warranty, turned down by HP etc.) can do the following:

1. CALL HP SUPPORT, do not back down, keep pounding support, HP damaged the laptop, not you

2. you MAY (you don't have to) try updating the display drivers as discussed here, if it doesn't work to your satisfaction you may wait 1-2 weeks for a fix, I'm pretty sure it will come (no guarantee), even though it may sound too optimistic today. I'm not a fan of AMD display drivers manipulation b/c they are unsupported for this line of products. Laptop HAS TO WORK properly with MS Windows drivers and if it doesn't then this also doesn't count as a solution. Manipulating drivers was not part of the original sales agreement, nor its condition. No one can demand you do it.

3. have BIOS flashed by a computer shop or do the DIY flash using the BIOS programming device (if you're technically inclined), this is done quite often, doesn't require removing the BIOS chip, a BIOS programming device (programmer) is hooked up to the chip and flashed "on the go". All the needed tools are available, hardware and software. Cost is minimal (10 bucks or so). BIOS chip is in the middle of the motherboard, beside the fan, chip is marked BIOS1, clearly visible. Flash to one of the lower versions and upgrade to F.16/F.17.

So for those desperate...

There are Youtube videos how it's done. Not going to give you the exact info, or step by step instructions, have a look just to have an idea how it's done  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y06x1f22B0    also search Youtube for "BIOS flashing (with) clip"

This is done quite frequently by shops in difficult BIOS cases, I wrote about it before. Not a bad idea to get familiar, in worst case scenario, just so you know. If after tinkering with drivers you don't get satisfactory results, reprogramming the BIOS yourself (or by the shop) is an option. What may get lost in the process is the Windows license that usually resides on the BIOS chip, you can pull it from the chip before flashing and input it manually when needed.

Is this a solution? Possibly, not for faint hearted though.

[Content Removed]

HP Recommended

Thank you so much bro!!

HP Recommended

After disabling Fast Boot the black and snow screen went away. Thanks again for your help Ron. Merry Christmas to all.

HP Recommended

@SCTech65 wrote:

After disabling Fast Boot the black and snow screen went away. Thanks again for your help Ron. Merry Christmas to all.

It's from Surface Pro 4 experence with fast boot with battery re-charging problems and after multiple BIOS updates, this issue is largely resolved. I made both "disable fast boot" and driver updates as my first port of call. 

Specs: HP Envy x360 15z bq-100-CTO with Ryzen 5 2500U, 16GB RAM, 512 GB NVMe M2 SSD, 1TB 7200 RPM HDD.
HP Recommended

@proxyx wrote:

I see quite desperate mood in here. Rightfully so. HP caused a mess, damaged working laptops and is cowardly nowhere to be seen...

[Content Removed]

Force driver updates workaround  methods would be unsuited for corporate deployment since it's unsupported configuration.

I'm pushing mobile A12 APU  driver support level for mobile Ryzen APU in AMD's Reddit forum. 

WIndows Update has attempted to install AMD driver with 22.19.655.1 three times, but my group policy setting has block it.

I refuse to install offical 22.19.655.1 with F17 BIOS since driver is BSOD happy with Chrome and could be problematic when Microsoft switchs it's Edge's inhouse browser engine to Chromium engine .

I allowed Windows Update's AMD Media drivers to be installed.

Specs: HP Envy x360 15z bq-100-CTO with Ryzen 5 2500U, 16GB RAM, 512 GB NVMe M2 SSD, 1TB 7200 RPM HDD.
HP Recommended

Just  ddued amd driverand  installed the original Oct 2017 drivers and Utube crashed with a white screen tried again and another crash this time totally corruping system windows diagnostic said could not fix. Good thing I had a backup image ready...  I contacting HP tomorrow not that it will do any good... .

HP Recommended

The October 2017 drivers always crashed chrome unless you disable hardware acceleration 

HP Recommended

@gsoul5005 wrote:

The October 2017 drivers always crashed chrome unless you disable hardware acceleration 

Without hardware accleration, might as well switch to Intel HD 6xx iGPU enabled  2-in-1 tablets/ultrabooks

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/4/18125238/microsoft-chrome-browser-windows-10-edge-chromium

Another world of hurt for original Oct 2017 drivers when Microsoft switches it's Edge inhouse browser engine to Chromium browser engine. PS; This is not new since Microsoft has lifted code from Mosaic browser for it's IE browser. 

HP Recommended

As indicated in this thread sending HP CEO messages prompting HP to fix the HP Envy laptops by killing the F.19 BIOS should be part of actions undertaken by affected users as well

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Envy-x360-AMD-laptop-unusable-...

It wouldn't harm to drop CEO a line here:

https://ssl.www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/connect-with-hp.html

HP Recommended

@proxyx wrote:

As indicated in this thread sending HP CEO messages prompting HP to fix the HP Envy laptops by killing the F.19 BIOS should be part of actions undertaken by affected users as well

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Envy-x360-AMD-laptop-unusable-...

It wouldn't harm to drop CEO a line here:

https://ssl.www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/connect-with-hp.html

It's mostly AMD's problem since driver code signer is AMD not HP.

My bq100cto model is offically stuck at 22.19.655.1. Other newer HP Ryzen laptop like db0996na model has 23.20.826.2304  and 24.20.12050.0 (close to Adrenaline 18.7.1's Windows Driver Store version 24.20.12019.1010)

The real solution is for AMD/HP to submit a newer Adrenaline 18.5.1 (Windows Driver Store Version 24.20.11016.4) or  Adrenaline 18.12.2 driver in Windows Update with hardware ids for our bq1xx models.

on my bq100cto model, F.03 Rev.A  BIOS has Nov 27, 2018 date which is newer than F.17 Rev.A's Apr 11,2018 date 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.