Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 15m-dr0012dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I just received this new 2-in-1 with a compatible HP Pen.

The pen functions, but I cannot download the app from the Microsoft store as

it claims it is not compatible with this device.

Under HID devices the pen has the following driver:

10.0.18362.175  6/21/2006

I tried downloading the following app version from a community post,

but I receive  message that it is  corrupted:

sp82491.exe   2.0.0.26  11/17/2017

Is that the most current  Hp Pen Control version?

I did a Windows Update and received a new app for the tilt pen (Impreza)

I don't need that!

Can someone help?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@rjolbrich 

Not sure about the HP Pen Control - I have not heard about download / corruption / compatibility issues.

You could try resetting the Store - or remove (uninstall / delete) driver from the Device Manager, Restart the computer, then reinstall the pen driver, then try loading the Control App.

Fix problems with apps from Microsoft Store

===============================================================================

HP Pen Driver date does appear to be somewhat stagnant. 

In this case, the lack of a newer driver may not be significant.

• Device Manager > Human Interface Devices > Pen Device Information
  1. Device Manager > View “Devices by type” AND “Show hidden devices”
  2. Open category Human Interface Devices
  3. Look for and Right-Click on “HID-compliant pen” > Properties
  4. Tab Details > Under Property, Select “Hardware ids”
  5. Tab Driver> Note the Driver Version

HP Pen Driver – Version 2.0.0.26

Description / Information

I do not (at this writing) have any information that indicates the HP Pen driver is not working in the latest Windows V1909.

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Clarification of terms and "what the device can do" (Specifications)

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ENVY x360 - 15m-dr0012dx

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dragon-Fur,

Come on now! This is not the first post on this issue. Where do you think got the idea

for the 82491.exe download!? These forums. It's obvious other Envy owners have this problem.

Question: Should the HP Pen Control app be compatible with all Envy x360's with a HP Pen?

HP Recommended

@rjolbrich 

@rjolbrich wrote:

Dragon-Fur,

Come on now! This is not the first post on this issue. Where do you think got the idea

for the 82491.exe download!? These forums. It's obvious other Envy owners have this problem.

Question: Should the HP Pen Control app be compatible with all Envy x360's with a HP Pen?

I do not know the answer regarding the HP Pen Control.  Speculating is just guessing using different words.

To make it worse, I do not, at the moment, have a system that supports a stylus.    I cannot adequately test any of this for you.

Yes, at this writing sp82491.exe is the most recent driver for the HP Pen models 1MR94AA, Y0C43AV, and 1CP24AV.

Honestly, for the most part, I use the same check data as is available to you.  I do not have any "internal' handle on whether there should be a newer driver.

I am sorry I cannot help. 

There are Experts here that live to pounce - showing weakness ("I do not know the answer") can be like calling sharks.  Perhaps someone will jump in with something useful to add.

What else?

Standard Warranty usually covers hardware - and MAYBE some of the software for a very limited time (depends on contract, location, regional laws). 

Regardless,

Because the computer and included Pen are brand new, consider contacting HP Technical Support.  Computer and Pen are supposed to work together.  Not working, what is wrong with it?  Additionally, opening a case with HP makes sure HP knows of your displeasure AND reporting the problem to HP adds the problem statistics to HP's database.

Idea,

Use the serial number of the computer to open the case - even if you could find the serial number on the Pen, the case is perhaps better opened on the main component under Warranty.

HP Technical Support - HP Contact Information

Reminders

• Use the serial number of the device to submit the case (do not post that information on the Community).

• Chat is not available in every region. In those areas where Chat is an option, Chat service hours are likely restricted.  In the event that Chat is not available in your region:  Call the number provided in the HP directory, else submit your case online (to receive phone contact information)

• HP will advise you there is a fee for phone support and / or other services when your computer / device is no longer under warranty.  This is normal business practice.

• HP may tell you that certain services are not covered under warranty.  This is normal business practice.  Standard Warranty typically covers specific hardware issues as explained in the Warranty contract. Care Pack coverage and warranties differ by package.

• If the HP Contact (phone) number is not immediately provided:  Contact information is displayed on your screen after you submit your case online.  

• HP websites are the only ones allowed to use the HP copyright circle/logo.  Look for the copyright on any website claiming to be HP. If in doubt, scroll to the bottom of the Website to find HP copyright logo.

“Everywhere” Contact Information - HP Technical Support

Open website  HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

Option – Regions

USA / Canada

Submit information / case online: Contact HP Support – Assistance Portal

1. Sign in or continue as a guest

UK

1. For faster support, first submit information / case online HP Customer Support UK
  2. Contact by Phone: Contact HP UK – Phone Assist

Option - HP Support is on Facebook!

HP on Facebook

From HP:  HP Fraud Alert: Protect Yourself from Scams, Report Suspicious Calls

From HP > CAUTION

Recently, HP has seen an increased number of third-party support websites selling HP driver downloads or diagnostic tools. Many of these websites use the HP trademark symbol and claim to be official HP distributors.

If your product supports your operating system, HP offers your driver and software at no additional cost through the HP website.

Use caution when dealing with any website that asks you to pay for HP driver downloads or tools that claim to diagnose your HP products. These websites might not be affiliated with HP in any way.

Do not install BIOS updates from a motherboard manufacturer's website. Only install BIOS updates from HP. Installing BIOS updates from the motherboard manufacturer can prevent the computer from accepting an HP system recovery. This could result in a loss of data.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I thought I'd provide an update.

I had a chat with HP Support on this issue. Despite my best attempts the representative

would not create or elevate a case. He was not fully ready to answer all my questions

and I have a chat summary to prove it.

Also, I did some research on the Internet. First I found the author of the HP Pen Control app.

It is ELAN Microelectronics of Taiwan. Second, I found a LinkedIn profile of an HP employee. His title is Hardware Engineering Program Manager, Cross Platform

Touch and Pen. Prior to working at HP he worked at - yes, ELAN Microelectronics! I'm sure

he or one of his subordinates is THE expert on the HP Pen Control app.

I'd conduct another chat with HP Support but I really don't think that would produce any results.

I'd love to contact him. Does anyone in this community have access to a HP employee directory?

Or, how to complain about my experience with HP support? I get the feeling that the truth

on this issue is being suppressed!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.