Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13-aw0009nn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

Recently I bought a HP Laptop : HP Spectre x360 13-aw0009nn late 2019.

Other than windows instability issues (random bluescreens and so), I'm concerned about the current BIOS or HP Command Center SDK package configuration.

The main problem I'm facing is DELAYED FANS .

The HP Command Center SDK has 4 profiles that works as follows:

• HP Recommended - This profile adjust the clockspeed and fans according to temperatures and system needs. The problem here resides in fan starting point. For example: a program starts at CPU temperature 50 degrees and fans at 0%. It uses the CPU and the evolution is as follows: 55 degrees 0% fan -> 60 degrees 0% fan  -> 65 degrees 0% fan  -> 70 degrees 0% fan -> 75 degrees 0% fan and stays here for about 3-5 minutes. After 3-5 minutes, the fans starts at about 50% of their power and the temperature drops to 60 degrees. After that, the fans goes off again. The temperatures rise again and the fans are dead again for 3-5 minutes and the cycle begins. - THIS PROFILE WORKS OK AS A BALANCED-MODE-PROFILE
  • Performance - This profile works the same as HP Recommended with the only fact that the clockspeed stays way higher - at about 3.5 ghs. At that clockspeed, the fans are at 0% the temperatures rise to 90 -> 98 degrees and stays there until 4-5 minutes after when the fans starts. The fans finally starts spinning after a few minutes and the temperatures drops to 78-80 ish. After temp drops, the fans goes off again. The temperatures rise again to 90 -> 98 and again it stays here for a 4-5 minutes until the fans starts. Again, the profile is named "Performance" and runs only when AC power is connected, so why so much fan delay ? Why do we need to risk the CPU at that temperature ? - IN MY OPINION, THIS PROFILE NEEDS TO READ THE TEMPERATURES MORE FREQUENTLY (at a few seconds basis) AND UPDATE THE FAN SPEEDS ACCORDINGLY !
  • Comfort - This profile is the worst of all : the clockspeed stays at 1-1.5 GHZ and the fans goes CRAZY ! One question tho: why do we need 70-90% fan speed when the CPU is at almost base clock  ? - THIS PROFILE IS THE EQUIVALENT OF A BATTERY SAVE MODE WITH FANS AT 100% (not ok btw)
  • Quiet - This profile works as described: no fans. - No problems with that

I myself tried to fix the problem using the following tools:

Notebook Fan Control (open source project) - I managed to do nothing because the fans have only 2 profiles (OFF and AUTO) which helps with nothing.

Modifying the CPU max processor state power : At 100% the configuration from HP Command Center takes control. At any other value lower than 100%, the clockspeed stays under 1.4 GHZ (might be buggy or a conflict betweeh Command Center)

Modifying BIOS settings - The fan always on parameter does NOTHING .

Undervolting the CPU - In short, simply not worth on ICE LAKE processors.

Multiple Windows 10 versions (1809, 1903 and 1909) - No solution.

Updating all drivers + some drivers rollback for test purposes - No luck

Please update your software because to be honest I'm starting to feel like I made a mistake buying this laptop.

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

@DraganDA Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are facing issues with fan delay.

The fan is system managed, minor tweaks can be done as you've mentioned only two options are available! that said, if the device is overheating we have a few steps that can help resolve the issue, although, the CPU on that device can take up to 100°C and work without issues if you feel that's going to be an issue, use this link to resolve the issue: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01657439

CPU: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/196597/intel-core-i7-1065g7-processor-8m-cache-...

PC specs: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06518622

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hello

HP Recommended

@DraganDA

Thank you for the update.

Please refer to the below link to HP CoolSense Technology.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02638953#UpgradeCoolSense

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

It says "Your product does not support HP Cool Sense" upon installation.....

HP Recommended

@DraganDA

I understand your concerns.

Please contact our phone support they will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

HP Recommended

I'll try to contact the support on Monday because it seems like they're not working in the weekend 🙂

In the meantime I made a discovery while opening device manager: I got an unidentified driver on "Other devices" tab named "Detection Verification". After some research I found out that it stands for Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI). 

Could that mean that the OS does not recognize the hardware properly if MEI is not installed ? I tried installing the MEI drivers from HP drivers page for my model, but the wizard opens a cmd and shortly closes it, so I went from cmd (both admin rights and normal user) into that directory and executed setup.cmd. I got the following output:

C:\SWSetup\SP99012>CALL "installdrv.cmd"

C:\SWSetup\SP99012>REM ========================================================

C:\SWSetup\SP99012>REM Driver deliverable installation

C:\SWSetup\SP99012>REM

C:\SWSetup\SP99012>REM Template Version: V1.01

C:\SWSetup\SP99012>REM ========================================================

C:\SWSetup\SP99012>REM

Does that mean that it's installed ?

HP Recommended

@DraganDA

Yes, the drivers are installed properly.

We do not have the option to take the remote control to check. 

I would suggest you to contact our phone support. They will help you.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Hello,

Coming back after almost a month.

So I took your advice and contacted the phone support, presented them the problem and they told me that I should try a BIOS rollback. I followed their instructions and the laptop got BRICKED !! I couldnt turn it on, so I send it in warranty service. They repaired it after 2 weeks and sent it back to me.

The problem with the delayed fans is still here !!! It is a general problem with all the Spectre x360 13 ICE LAKE !!! So it is a software problem 100%.

HP, update your bios drivers for this model and make the profiles in a way to satisfy everyone, it is not that hard.

You should make something like this:

For the people that are NOT bothered by fan noise => PERFORMANCE MODE / COMFORT ( AGGRESSIVE FANS )

For the people that are bothered by fan noise => HP BALANCED / SILENT ( LOW OR NO FANS )

WE WANT A PROFILE WITHOUT DELAYED FANS !!!

HP Recommended

Maybe nobody sees this thread, or nobody cares about it.

Anyway, gonna UP it on a few days basis to (hope) someone sees it 🙂

UP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.