Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

All of a sudden from one day to the next my keyboard keys wont work at all. These are so far my mute sound my g my h my esc my @ and backspace. I have tried to:

-reset my device the reinstall all my applications i had prior then didnt work then done a full file reset still didnt wor

-in stall HP drivers from web site

-install the previous drivers then upgrade

-restored the BIOS defaults and installed the latest BIOS

-completed the f2 keyboard test which didnt pass

- changed the keyboard language from uk to us

-tried flipping it into tablet mode and back

So far none of this has worked amd looking through your forums its a known issue but i cant see a fix. My on screen keyboard works fine. My laptop is only a year old and now out of warranty.I have no restore point set either so couldnt reset to a time it was working.  Any body with any ideas on how to fix this issue please aas its frustrating the hell out of me. I have already spent 2 days working on this and process of elimination. Any body at HP know of this issue please reply or i am due to start working their soon so might find out also through 2nd line. I work in IT and hate spending time on my own equipment.Please help. Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @DEATHFINDER,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I understand that you  need assistance with the keyboard of the computer that does not work correctly. It will be terrific to assist you here.:)

You’ve done an excellent job on diagnosing the issue from your end. Kudos to you on that score. Brilliant troubleshooting. We greatly value your relationship with HP. You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you.

First off the issue could be hardware related and we need to isolate it correctly.

Please perform a hard reset first. steps:

• Power down the computer and unplug the charger. Then remove the battery only if it is a removable one.
  • Hold down the power button of the unit for 15 seconds to discharge static electrical charges inside the machine.
  • Replace the battery and reconnect the charger.
  • Power down the unit. When you power it back up, immediately tap the F11 key gently several times.
  • It takes you to recovery manager. Here please select the option “Troubleshoot”. Then please select “Advanced options “ and  “command prompt”
  • Type all the keyboard characters in this black window especially the keys that do not work correctly.
  • If F11 does not take you to recovery manager, please keep tapping the “ESC” gently several times the instant you power on the unit. It takes you to the startup menu and you could press F11 from there to go to recovery manager. Please check all the keys in the command prompt black window, especially the keys that don’t work.

If the keyboard does not work in the command prompt, then it is a hardware issue with the keyboard and the unit needs to be serviced.

Please visit this link for further assistance: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03738933

If the keyboard works in the command prompt, then you could try a system restore to an earlier time before the issue started, Link:  http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03327545

If that does not fix the issue, please perform a recovery after backing up all your information.

Link for recovery:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-15-j100-Select-Edition-Notebook-PC-series/6521373/model/...

You could also connect an external USB keyboard to test if the keys work from there to further isolate the issue.

Finally, if nothing works, please contact HP phone support to get the unit serviced as you state that the keyboard diagnostics failed or did not pass. Link for phone support: http://hp.com/contacthp

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Trust me I have done all I can to help by keeping your best interest in mind. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Product Name: HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

All of a sudden from one day to the next my keyboard keys wont work at all. These are so far my mute sound my g my h my esc my @ and backspace. I have tried to:

-reset my device the reinstall all my applications i had prior then didnt work then done a full file reset still didnt wor

-in stall HP drivers from web site

-install the previous drivers then upgrade

-restored the BIOS defaults and installed the latest BIOS

-completed the f2 keyboard test which didnt pass

- changed the keyboard language from uk to us

-tried flipping it into tablet mode and back

So far none of this has worked amd looking through your forums its a known issue but i cant see a fix. My on screen keyboard works fine. My laptop is only a year old and now out of warranty.I have no restore point set either so couldnt reset to a time it was working.  Any body with any ideas on how to fix this issue please aas its frustrating the hell out of me. I have already spent 2 days working on this and process of elimination. Any body at HP know of this issue please reply or i am due to start working their soon so might find out also through 2nd line. I work in IT and hate spending time on my own equipment.Please help. Thanks

HP technician response

Hi @DEATHFINDER,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I understand that you  need assistance with the keyboard of the computer that does not work correctly. It will be terrific to assist you here.Smiley Happy

You’ve done an excellent job on diagnosing the issue from your end. Kudos to you on that score. Brilliant troubleshooting. We greatly value your relationship with HP. You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you.

First off the issue could be hardware related and we need to isolate it correctly.

Please perform a hard reset first. steps:

• Power down the computer and unplug the charger. Then remove the battery only if it is a removable one.
  • Hold down the power button of the unit for 15 seconds to discharge static electrical charges inside the machine.
  • Replace the battery and reconnect the charger.
  • Power down the unit. When you power it back up, immediately tap the F11 key gently several times.
  • It takes you to recovery manager. Here please select the option “Troubleshoot”. Then please select “Advanced options “ and  “command prompt”
  • Type all the keyboard characters in this black window especially the keys that do not work correctly.
  • If F11 does not take you to recovery manager, please keep tapping the “ESC” gently several times the instant you power on the unit. It takes you to the startup menu and you could press F11 from there to go to recovery manager. Please check all the keys in the command prompt black window, especially the keys that don’t work.

If the keyboard does not work in the command prompt, then it is a hardware issue with the keyboard and the unit needs to be serviced.

Please visit this link for further assistance: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03738933

If the keyboard works in the command prompt, then you could try a system restore to an earlier time before the issue started, Link:  http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03327545

If that does not fix the issue, please perform a recovery after backing up all your information.

Link for recovery:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-15-j100-Select-Edition-Notebook-PC-series/6521373/model/...

You could also connect an external USB keyboard to test if the keys work from there to further isolate the issue.

Finally, if nothing works, please contact HP phone support to get the unit serviced as you state that the keyboard diagnostics failed or did not pass. Link for phone support: http://hp.com/contacthp

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Trust me I have done all I can to help by keeping your best interest in mind. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DEATHFINDER RESPONSE BACK

Hi. ive had to register again previous name Deathfinder for some reason i couldnt log in to reply might be keyboard issues. Anyway after doing what you advised above the cmd prompt does not recognise the keys as discussed. The links you copied and pasted for troubleshooting i have already done all of this and spent hours doing it. So to clarify i already done the power off and hold power button. The f11 key did not work so had to go in advanced startup. My warrenty expired 24 august 2016. Their are alot of issues on the web for this you must have a knowledge base for this issue and a fix at hp? The only thing left to do is get it sent in for a hardware replacement but how if its out of warrenty? The laptop is not even 2 years old and already getting hardware replaced. Please advise of any options i can do? Can i disconnect the keyboard internally to reset it? what are my options and please no more troubleshooting links ive read them all. the only sys restore i had is 25 oct when i done a full reset so thats not going to work. Its either hardware replacement or a full wipe and os putting on which requires a license.Please help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.