Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream 14 Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi Everyone!

Really hope someone out there can give me some insight or a solution to the problem I'm having.

I've just recently noticed that my laptop when plugged in says "plugged in not charging" and it is stuck at 5% meaning I can't take it anywhere and it has to be plugged into the mains to even turn on.

I have tried all the walk throughs on Youtube about unistalling the battery components through device manager nothing works.

I can't get the battery to take it out as it is built in I've attempted to unscrew the bottom but the casing wouldnt budge and I obviously dont want to break a brand new laptop!

When I run a battery diagnostic using the HP support it will start to charge for about 30 seconds then stop.

I've tried running the battery down to empty and the re-charging it overnight when it's cool - nothing

Any help or suggestions much appreciated however I have a feeling it will need to go back to the supplier or I will need to try a new ac adaper.

Many thanks 🙂

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @SophieG88,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I see from the post that you are having charging issues on your HP notebook. I'll do my best to help you with this,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you tried to update the Bios and Windows drivers?

Was there any update/reset interrupted recently?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

Unplug the charge and use the laptop until the battery drains to 15%.

Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins.

Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager,

Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed.

I would suggest please update the BIOS on your PC and check if it helps.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Also, Go through them all and let me know what you have determined is causing the issue. The first document has the most relevant troubleshooting if your battery appears to be not charging.

Battery Does not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge

HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 10)

Next thing, I would suggest here is to run the test on the battery from F2.(Click on Component test - Scroll down to Power)

Please remember to capture the failure ID for further assistance.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi Jeet,

I have checked all my BIOS and windows drivers they all seem to be up to date.

I have checked all the battery components and my laptop is saying they are all operating properly.

I have HP support install I have ran a diagnostic on the battery and again its status is OK when I run this diagnostic the battery starts to charge for about 30secs then stops.

I have tried the above steps to no avail unfortunately I don't believe a recent update was interrupted however I unistalled all the recent updates and then reinstalled but this hasn't worked either.

My battery is down to 2% so it won't turn on without the ac adapter plugged in to the laptop it receives the power from the mains but does not charge the battery.

Any further assistance you can provide would be most appreciated. If you feel this is a bigger problem please let me know and I will see if I can get the laptop exchanged under its warranty.

Many thanks
Sophie
HP Recommended

Hi @SophieG88,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, let's try with an alternate adapter and check if this helps. If nothing works, I would suggest you contact our HP phone support for having the battery replaced. Please contact our HP phone support for further assistance. 

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet,

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly.

I ran a troubleshoot for windows updates and fixed some issues one issues which couldn't be fixed was "potential windows update database error detected" could this have anything to do with the problems I'm having?

I ran a scan on hardware and devices and it stated that the laptop does not have a driver installed for the PCI device not a clue what this means but could this have anything to do with it the issue?

I have also found a failed windows update with the error message:

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8024001E: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4015217).

If not of the above are related in any way I will probably request a replacement. Just out of interest do you think it is more likely to be a battery problem or a software problem?

Many thanks,

Sophie

HP Recommended

Hi @SophieG88,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you have tried running the Windows troubleshooter which seems to have helped with some issues but you are still getting a Windows update failure, this is definitely to do with the software problem. Don't worry I'll try my best to help you with this,

Here's a related Microsoft post which seems to have helped many others: Click here

Eager to help!

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi Jeet,

Whilst looking through the HP trouble shooting documents I found an update for BIOS I gave it a go and my battery is now charging! 😄

Thank you for your help and for speedy responses if you hadn't of mentioned BIOS in the first post I wouldn't have even thought to have clicked on it.

Many many thanks,

Sophie
HP Recommended

Hi @SophieG88,

Thank you for the update,

I'm glad you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And accept this as the solution to help others find your post helpful.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Downloading hp support assistant, running the battery diagnostic and restarting the laptop worked for me. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.