Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-cx0077wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am attempting to install HP Support Assistant to keep my laptop's drivers up-to-date. When I run the installer, I get a popup window titled "Feature transfer error" that says "Error: -1605  This action is only valid for products that are currently installed." I have made sure that any traces of HP Support Assistant from previous installations are gone. 

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@HenryPontzer

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues install HP support assistant on your computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the below steps to uninstall HP support assistant from your computer.

1. In Windows, search for an open Uninstall a program.

2. On the Programs and Features window, select HP Support Assistant, then click Uninstall.

Figure : Uninstall HP Support Assistant

Uninstall screen from the Control Panel with HP Support Assistant highlighted
  3. Click Yes on the Programs and Features screen to confirm you want to uninstall HP Support Assistant.

Figure : Uninstall confirmation

Confirmation screen to uninstall HP Support Assistant with Yes selected
  4. Restart your computer to complete the process.

Once the computer is restarted, then download and install the HP support assistant from the below link.

http://www8.hp.com/in/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_in/en/any/psg/pl...

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Apologies for my late response. The method you described is what causes the issue. HP Support Assistant is not installed, and therefore does not show up in Control Panel. I only have HP Software Framework and HP Support Solutions Framework. The installer from the website you linked is the one that has the error mentioned in my post. 

HP Recommended

@HenryPontzer,

I recommend you uninstall both HP software framework and HP support solution framework and restart the computer. Then install the HP Support assistant and check if it helps.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, that did not solve the issue

HP Recommended

@HenryPontzer,

I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and create a new user account on the computer and then install the HP support assistant and check.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc...

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry I haven't responded. I read this a while ago and didn't write back and thought I had. As for the suggestion, I get the same error when using a new local user account.

HP Recommended

@HenryPontzer To resolve this problem, do any one of the following, depending on the cause of the problem:

• Check if the app is already installed on the PC. If so, uninstall and reinstall the app.
    If you previously had a desktop shortcut for an app, the shortcut may have been lost during the upgrade to Windows 10. In such cases, the app is likely still installed on the PC, resulting in this error when you attempt to reinstall the app. You can restore the shortcut by searching for the app, and if it's found, press and hold (or right-click) the app and select Pin to Start. Or you can resolve the issue by uninstalling and then reinstalling the app. To search for and uninstall apps in Windows 10:
    1. On the Start menu, select Settings.
    2. In Settings, select System > Apps & features.
    3. If the app is listed then this is, select it and then select Uninstall.
    4. Follow the directions on the screen.
  • Install the package to a folder that is not encrypted.
    Use this method if you receive the error message because you try to install the Windows Installer package to a folder that is encrypted.
  • Install the package to a drive that is not accessed as a substitute drive.
    Use this method if you receive the error message because the drive that contains the folder that you try to install the Windows Installer package to is accessed as a substitute drive.
  • Grant Full Control permissions to the SYSTEM account. 
    Use this method if you receive the error message because the SYSTEM account does not have Full Control permissions on the folder you are installing the Windows Installer package to. 

To grant Full Control permissions to the SYSTEM account, follow these steps:
    1. Open File Explorer (or Windows Explorer), right-click the drive that you want to install the Windows Installer package to, and then click  Properties.
    2. Click the Security tab. Verify that the Group or user names box contains the SYSTEM user account. If the SYSTEM user account doesn't appear in the box, follow these steps to add the SYSTEM account:
      1. Click Edit. If prompted, approve the User Account Control.
      2. Click Add. The Select Users or Groups dialog box appears.
      3. In the Enter the object names to select field, type SYSTEM, and then click Check names.
      4. Click OK.
    3. To change permissions, click Edit. If prompted, approve the User Account Control.
    4. Select the SYSTEM user account, and verify in the Permissions section that Full Control is set to Allow. If not, select the Allow check box.
    5. Close the Permissions dialog and return to the Properties dialog. Click Advanced.
    6. Select Change permissions. If prompted, approve the User Account Control.
    7. In the Permissions tab, select the SYSTEM entry and click Edit.
    8. Click the Applies to dropdown and select This folder, subfolder and files. Click OK.
    9. Wait for the operating system to apply the permissions that you have selected to all child folders.
    10. Run the Windows Installer package.

For more details: click here as it's a known microsoft error.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, that did not fix it. I have fully uninstalled the app, SYSTEM has full permissions, and the folder is neither encrypted nor on a substitute drive. Your answer did make me consider the fact that the error code may not be specific to HPSA, but I was unable to find any useful information about error 1605 in general either.

HP Recommended

@HenryPontzer If none of that worked, please look for and install all available windows updates, if that doesn't help, we may need to uninstall the HP Support Assistant and either use the HP website to install HP updates in the future, or reset windows after a backup, as that should help resolve any software conflicts that could be causing this issue.

Keep me posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.