Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Tinsheild is absolutely correct. These things:  Immediately uninstall and or disable  will get machine back to normal. 

On the machine I was working on two apps were installed on the same day (5/18/21):

• HP Security Update Service
  • HP Wolf Security

This is coming in because of the HP Support Assistant settings being set to automatic and update all things. Change the users HPSA settings so it doesnt weasel its way back in. We have Sophos AV as well and we're going so far as to block their stupid EXE's from launching. 

This software is a complete blundering nightmare. Why HP insists on creating software that obviously is not well tested, and already exists by established known vendors already - is beyond me. Talk about reinventing the wheel. HP should just stop while they're behind on bloatware that doesnt work anyway. Sure Sense, Sure Click, this new pile of poo called HP Wolf Security is just a morphing of both of those ridiculously buggy worthless apps. In addition Sure Recover,Connection optimizer, Docs, Notifications, WorkWise, Wolf - blah blah blah ALL that crap -- I wish they'd do us all a favor and just put HP Support Assistant in, or even better the Image Assistant - and the Client Security things and be DONE.

Good grief -- HP for the love of popcorn - PLEASE stop trying to write software and just stick to computers and printers. 

HP Recommended

Why can't there be an option for a clean W10 install with just the support assistant installed? All of these apps are just a nightmare.

HP Recommended

The Image Assistant utility seems to work better but wont run on it if its tool old of a laptop. Client Security thing is needed for fingerprint /face recog. Otherwise agreed, remove all the unnecessary crap! Spend at least 30 minutes with each new laptop getting rid of that garbage. Gonna send HP a BILL one of these days for all the lost time.....

HP Recommended

We got the same issue today with couple of machines. I had to uninstall the following software to get the machine back up and running. 

• HP Security Update Service
  • HP Wolf Security

So far couldn't find a way to stop this. One of the user mentioned that they got a prompt to install this software so they selected yes since it was HP!  I hope someone from HP can guide us on how we can opt out of receiving this software or a way we can remove it. 

HP Recommended

Has anyone had any luck with disabling the Threat Containment via command line, or PowerShell? 

It's beyond reason why HP ship this rubbish software with their laptops.

HP Recommended

I think the issue is that it updates in stages. Because it is an evolution  or in this case a DE-evolution of software (sense upgrades to Wolf, Sure Click updates to HP Security updates - I think you have to let it finish and it might be a restart or two. It even adds an additional "HP Client security manager" which is just befuddling.   So step 1 - turn off automatic download and install of updates  -----  Step 2 - remove the 2 problematic titles. So far it has not come back on a machine with those 3 fixes. 

HP Recommended

Hi all,

I'm encountering the same compatibility issue between HP Wolf Security and Sophos Intercept X.

Same thread is also created on Sophos side at https://community.sophos.com/intercept-x-endpoint/f/discussions/127889/hp-wolf-security-causing-issu... .

I've raised a case to their support team but the only answer i got is they are aware of the issue but  their products may demonstrate unexpected behavior when used in conjunction with other third-party products designed to operate in a similar capacity and therefore Sophos do not support installing Sophos products alongside any third-party software that offers similar functionality.

I bet i could expect a similar answer from HP...

So if someone succeed in creating a script that efficiently remove HP Wolf Security and its security update service, i'll take it.

I also noticed some of my PC are on a transition stage (from Sure Click to Wolf security) so the main difficulty consists in providing a script able to deal with both releases of this HP automatic (forced) installation.

Best regards,

Jérôme  

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

1. Make sure your developers fully test your products BEFORE you push them out to customer devices!

2. This HP Wolf crap has buggered a number of my staff PCs running Spohos anti-Malware/anti-Ransomware and brought these devices down to a crawl in terms of speed of use, so much so they are unusable!!!

3. Don't push out software products automatically without notifying your customers.

4. It's bad enough having to constantly do Windows updates from MS, without HP doing the same.

5. Get the this HP Wolf crap off our devices pronto!

6. We are getting our outsourced IT service provider to check and remove HP Wolf from all our HP devices, this is a long time consuming task and has results in lots of staff downtime which has cost us a lot of money, and missed deadlines which I doubt HP will compensate us for.

7. Stop doing this kind of thing!!!

HP Recommended

Goodness, I can imagine what a nightmare this is for a IT outsourced entity who is all on full automatic HP system updates. Fortunately I am IN  IT, and was able to head this off at the pass early as I saw it to be the culprit very very early. We're using Sophos to actually block the executables, and SCCM to uninstall any the Wolf Security & HP Security Updates. 

HP needs to learn a valuable lesson here. System updates are one thing. But when I select automatic updates and say I only want the *critical* ones. These are NOT critical. They aren't even updates. Windows 10 Settings which appears often in the HPSA, and Diagnostics (though useful) are NOT CRITICAL. Neither are these stupid Wolf entries. I seriously hope HP is taking notes here. This is all over other forums now. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.