Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop ce031tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Earlier this week HP Support Assistant started to show a red exclamation mark on the taskbar icon, when i opened the application it showed me that my battery is bad and a code 42 is applicable in regard to this failure. 
I clicked on the battery tab and it showed, CONDITION: Replace. It also showed the following message, The Battery is reporting a failure and needs to be replaced as soon as possible. 

I check my battery condition thorough other software like HP Hardware Diagnostic and it showed me that my battery is in perfect condition.

The real reason which i think for this false reporting is that, i have a bios option in my Laptop by the name of "Battery Care Function", and i have it turned on to stop the system from charging the battery to 100% and instead stop it somewhere at 80% to 90%. When i switched off this function in the bios the HP Support Assistant stopped to give me any errors and i checked the battery performance via HP SA to see if it can detect the errors but it didn't. Then i turned the Battery Care Function on again from the BIOS and the HP SA again started to give me the same error.

So in regards to the above scenario the real issue is that the HP SA is not recognizing the BIOS's HP BATTERY CARE FUNCTION and is assuming that as the battery stopped charging at 79% and the laptop is plugged in then the battery is failing and is advising me to replace the battery.

To resolve this issue i did the following but still the issue is not resolved and i can assure that my battery is working correctly and also that the backup is same as it was on the first day:

1. I reinstalled the HP SA to see if this resolved the issue but it didn't.
2. I got a windows update soon after this issue came up, i was on Windows 10 1809, and got a features update to 1903, i installed the update to see if this resolved my issue, but it didn't.
3. I diagnosed my battery status through other sources like BIOS hardware diagnostic and HP hardware diagnostic Windows to see if it detected any issues with the battery but they didn't report any such issues.
4. I also ran an AC adapter test through HP hardware diagnostic to see if the adapter is bad in any way but it is also in good condition.

Other than this i am also attaching the pictures regarding this issue in reference to all the things i have stated above.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuKQl-i7_UyM_A5bCmkwjwrsSD4t

Pic 1-4 are of HP SA, and 5 onwards are of HP Hardware Diagnostic.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and taking an interest in my quest to search for an answer. I did everything as you asked, i uninstalled the Battery Acpi driver and reinstalled it, I even re-updated my bios, but the issued remained as it was. I also had some pending driver installation, which i remember i didn't previously had before posting this issue here, but anyways i updated them to see if it resolved the issue, but even then it the issue remained. 

After i posted this message I didn't do much effort on my own to resolve the issue, but after your reply and doing what you asked and failing, a feeling awoken in me to resolve this issue, so I would like to thank you for that.

From the first day I knew that this issue is related to HP Support Assistant, maybe the reason why I posted this message on board was to let someone to suggest me to simply uninstall it and be done with it.
But i quite like this software, although it has its fair share of problems and the fact that it always uses up the CPU and RAM, but the HP developers can make it better.

Anyways after much playing I uninstalled the HP SA, but then I thought why not install the previous version and check to see if this issue is only occurring in the newest update, so i uninstalled the latest version and installed the previous release.

I checked to see if the issue is resolved and it did. So in short the issue is in the newest update of the HP SA, but i have this update for quite sometime now and only recently it started to give out this issue which made the issue problematic.

Anyways i resolved the issue by installing the previous release.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@DemonicPRINCE, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Reinstalling Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager may resolve this issue. Let us try these steps: 

Step 1: Click the Windows “Start” button and right-click “Computer.”

Step 2: Click “Manage,” then “Device Manager.”

Step 3: Click the “Batteries” section. A list of devices will appear.

Step 4: Right-click the “Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery” device and click “Uninstall.”

Step 5: Click the “Action” menu item and “Scan for Hardware Changes” to reinstall the driver.

Restart the computer.

If the issue persists, I recommend you update the BIOS from this link.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and taking an interest in my quest to search for an answer. I did everything as you asked, i uninstalled the Battery Acpi driver and reinstalled it, I even re-updated my bios, but the issued remained as it was. I also had some pending driver installation, which i remember i didn't previously had before posting this issue here, but anyways i updated them to see if it resolved the issue, but even then it the issue remained. 

After i posted this message I didn't do much effort on my own to resolve the issue, but after your reply and doing what you asked and failing, a feeling awoken in me to resolve this issue, so I would like to thank you for that.

From the first day I knew that this issue is related to HP Support Assistant, maybe the reason why I posted this message on board was to let someone to suggest me to simply uninstall it and be done with it.
But i quite like this software, although it has its fair share of problems and the fact that it always uses up the CPU and RAM, but the HP developers can make it better.

Anyways after much playing I uninstalled the HP SA, but then I thought why not install the previous version and check to see if this issue is only occurring in the newest update, so i uninstalled the latest version and installed the previous release.

I checked to see if the issue is resolved and it did. So in short the issue is in the newest update of the HP SA, but i have this update for quite sometime now and only recently it started to give out this issue which made the issue problematic.

Anyways i resolved the issue by installing the previous release.

HP Recommended

@DemonicPRINCE

Glad to know that you found the solution and the issue is now resolved and thank you for the feedback on the latest version of HP Support Assistant. I will update the HP program developers team and the issue will be rectified soon.

Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.