Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15 TS Notebook PC product number M2Z51UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Please help me get CompuTrace off my laptop.  About two days or so I got an update from Windows and now when I run a virus scan I get a message warning me about [ <COLUMN NAME="Log">\\Uefi Partition » UEFI » uefi:\\Volume 3\Firmware Volume Image {20BC8AC9-94D1-4208-AB28-5D673FD73486}\Volume 1\ComputraceComponents - a variant of EFI/CompuTrace.A potentially unsafe application - action selection postponed until scan completion</COLUMN> ]  My AV wont let me delete it and research tells me it's tied into my BIOS. 

I even went to HP.com and downloaded the latest bios but the message is still there. If anyone knows how to get rid of please let me know. I want it gone.  I 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Damosthy

Computrace is a component installed by Absolute software to enable you to track and locate your PC -- an invaluable function should it be lost or stolen.  Why one earth would you want to remove it?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood wrote:

@Damosthy

Computrace is a component installed by Absolute software to enable you to track and locate your PC -- an invaluable function should it be lost or stolen.  Why one earth would you want to remove it?

I know what it is and I know it can be exploited. I want it gone.

HP Recommended

@Damosthy

OK ... here are the instruction from Lojack on how to remove it:

Open an online browser, and go to Web page of Absolute Software.

Complete your request to remove LoJack, and click "Submit." This allows Absolute to send you verification via email that they have received your removal request and will remove your LoJack automatically from the BIOS of your computer.

HP Recommended

@WAWood wrote:

@Damosthy

OK ... here are the instruction from Lojack on how to remove it:

Open an online browser, and go to Web page of Absolute Software.

Complete your request to remove LoJack, and click "Submit." This allows Absolute to send you verification via email that they have received your removal request and will remove your LoJack automatically from the BIOS of your computer.

I contacted them and they said I need to contact HP to get the "switch" removed. I was told since I never formally installed their software it's not one my system and the alert I'm getting is from a Computrace "switch".

HP Recommended

@Damosthy

<sigh>  If I had a $ for every time some vendor weaseled out of a problem they caused by telling folks to contact HP, I could have retired a wealthy person!!

Absolute locks stuff up tight -- I know because I have lojack on my laptop (by choice) and through countless Windows reinstallations, it has remained intact.

It it's really been written into the firmware of the PC, I have no idea how WE could then clean that out -- and I an disappointed (but not surprised) that Absolute will not help you in that.

We are not HP Tech Support, so to reach them, you would have to contact HP Customer Support and PAY them to put you in touch with HP Tech Support.  They (or Tech Support) will ask for payment Up Front before you can talk to a technician.

Here is the contact info if you want to pursue this ...

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

If you have trouble finding a phone number, then try: 1 (800) 474-6836

HP Recommended

The problem is the checksum is reporting as incorrect and of course if malware is masquerading as a program in the UEFI area then one could be well and truly screwed. Since my laptop never leaves my secured home I would rather be safe from a breach than worry about a physical break-in.

If there is a way to re-install a verified Computrace module that is certainly an acceptable solution but eliminating the potentially compromised element all together is my chosen course of action if someone can advise me how to go about doing it.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.