Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
15-ab181no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi.

I recently changed my HHD to SSD and wonder how to change EDI mode to AHCI?

Tried to do it thtough BIOS, but there is no option where I can change it.

Btw I have the latest version of BIOShow to enable AHCI mode.png

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@ThomasTL

Welcome to HP Forums!

I have a few steps to help you out:

1. Right-click the Windows Start Menu. Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
    1. If you don’t see Command Prompt listed, it’s because you have already been updated to a later version of Windows.  If so, use this method instead to get to the Command Prompt:
      1. Click the Start Button and type cmd
      2. Right-click the result and select Run as administrator
  2. Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
    1. If this command does not work for you, try bcdedit /set safeboot minimal
  3. Restart the computer and enter BIOS Setup (the key to press varies between systems).
  4. Change the SATA Operation mode to AHCI from either IDE or RAID (again, the language varies).
  5. Save changes and exit Setup and Windows will automatically boot to Safe Mode.
  6. Right-click the Windows Start Menu once more. Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
  7. Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
    1. If you had to try the alternate command above, you will likely need to do so here also: bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot
  8. Reboot once more and Windows will automatically start with AHCI drivers enabled.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on the post you feel, helped you the most, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

The problem is that there is no option in BIOS at all. I don't even see IDE as option, in other words I can't make any choice in BIOS.

The method that your described - will it enable the option in my BIOS that I will be able to choose between IDE and AHCI? 

HP Recommended

IMG_20190303_231322.jpgIMG_20190303_231341.jpgIMG_20190303_231403.jpg

HP Recommended

@ThomasTL You could try the steps, and also, update the BIOS using this link: Click here, if this doesn't enable the options on BIOS, it would mean that the options are locked by design, and changes to it cannot be made.

Let me know how that pans out.

Good luck

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher, as I mentioned before - there is no option at all i BIOS where you can change from EDI to AHCI. 

As I wrote in my 1st post - I have the latest version of BIOS, but no SATA change option.

I tried your recommendation - no success.

My friend has a samsung laptop from 2011 and it has this option, his BIOS never been update. My laptop is 2015, almost 2016. Well, the result is that I know from which company I will buy my next notebook/laptop.

HP should enable this function by default, I mean it should be visible in BIOS, because this option exists since Windows XP.

Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

@ThomasTL I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP as that option isn't available on the device,

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I'm trying to install Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 SSD on my Pavillion 15 ak004nl. So far, the system does not "see" the card.

Trying several solutions, I found out that I have the same problem as the other user: no option to change SATA mode in Bios.

I have just upgraded the Bios with the latest version.

Please can you help?

thanks

Max

@Riddle_Decipher wrote:

@ThomasTLI understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP as that option isn't available on the device,

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.