Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP pavilion 17-e019dx

Hello, I was givin a used HP 17-e019dx that unfortunateky has alot of finger oil on the keyboard and trackpad. Is there an easy way to clean this off?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@HPlaptop513

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand you want to know how to remove the finger oil or grease from the keyboard and touchpad,

Here's what you need to know about this:

If a small vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment is available, use it to clear the keyboard of debris.
A can of compressed air can be used to blow out particles that get in between the keys.

If you wish to use liquid cleaners, use Diluted Isopropyl alcohol on a cloth is the best for removing oils and grease.
Try to buy it pre-diluted or dilute it yourself using demineralised water.
Never use it non-diluted as the alcohol can damage the plastic.

50% is probably the maximum safe mix, 30% Isopropyl alcohol or less on more sensitive surfaces.

Don't use a dishwasher unless you're prepared to lose the keyboard.
Every model is different and some have exposed electrical surfaces that if not dried perfectly will short circuit the keyboard or touchpad.

Additional information:

• Use a soft and non-abrasive cloth for cleaning your laptop. Even paper towels and tissues should be avoided as they contain wood fibers. You can use a clean eyeglass cleaning cloth, though. Interestingly, if you
  • It is suggested to avoid cleaning the laptop with regular or tap water as it may contain minerals and chemicals. Furthermore, do not use soap solutions, window cleaners, or other similar detergents as they can harm the screen. Ammonia and other strong solvents should also be avoided.

Keep me posted,
If the information I've provided was helpful,
give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,
that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@HPlaptop513

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand you want to know how to remove the finger oil or grease from the keyboard and touchpad,

Here's what you need to know about this:

If a small vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment is available, use it to clear the keyboard of debris.
A can of compressed air can be used to blow out particles that get in between the keys.

If you wish to use liquid cleaners, use Diluted Isopropyl alcohol on a cloth is the best for removing oils and grease.
Try to buy it pre-diluted or dilute it yourself using demineralised water.
Never use it non-diluted as the alcohol can damage the plastic.

50% is probably the maximum safe mix, 30% Isopropyl alcohol or less on more sensitive surfaces.

Don't use a dishwasher unless you're prepared to lose the keyboard.
Every model is different and some have exposed electrical surfaces that if not dried perfectly will short circuit the keyboard or touchpad.

Additional information:

• Use a soft and non-abrasive cloth for cleaning your laptop. Even paper towels and tissues should be avoided as they contain wood fibers. You can use a clean eyeglass cleaning cloth, though. Interestingly, if you
  • It is suggested to avoid cleaning the laptop with regular or tap water as it may contain minerals and chemicals. Furthermore, do not use soap solutions, window cleaners, or other similar detergents as they can harm the screen. Ammonia and other strong solvents should also be avoided.

Keep me posted,
If the information I've provided was helpful,
give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,
that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info, I’ll try it when I buy some diluted isopropyl alcohol.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.