Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wcjpr
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have an ISO file downloaded in a usb and I need help on the how to steps of upgrading my computer

Example: Pavilion 17 Notebook Pc Product number J9N56UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an ISO file downloaded in a usb and I need help on the how to steps of upgrading my computer from windows 8.1 to windows 10.  Please and thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
Level 17
Level 17
41,606 41,391 6,550 11,399
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have an ISO file downloaded in a usb and I need help on the how to steps of upgrading my computer

You cannot use an .iso file directly it has to be unpacked onto the usb to make an installer disk. .iso is a compressed disk image and has to be processed into an actual useable disk.  How did you get the .iso and how did you put it on the usb drive?

wcjpr
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I got the ISO file by following steps on youtube videos.

0 Kudos
Level 20
Level 20
112,979 103,156 16,199 24,891
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, @wcjpr 

If you currently have W8.1 up and running on your PC, you don't even need to use an ISO file to upgrade to W10.

Just click on the blue Update Now button at the top of the webpage below to begin the upgrade.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key,' option and W10 should install.

This guy states (on Oct 31, 2018) you can still get the upgrade for free, so you might be in luck...

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
wcjpr
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Paul!  Thanks for replying.  I will check on that as soon as I get out of work.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
Level 20
Level 20
112,979 103,156 16,199 24,891
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation