Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
K1X44EA#ABU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I performed a BIOS update and suddenly my keyboard and touchpad have stopped working. It updated the BIOS to F.44. I performed another BIOS update of the same version and no difference. I have also pressed the 'ESC' key on my keyboard when it starts up, and it works, where I then pressed the 'F11' key and it performed a system recovery. No difference.

I updated all my drivers on the device manager. No difference

I performed a hard reset. No difference.

Please help. I really need my keyboard. I am currently writing this using an external keyboard plugged in by USB. I can give you any other information you want.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are going to use the open source word processing program to create a document. That will let you know that your keyboard is working without issue.

Once that has been determined you can exit Ubuntu and remove the flash drive.

It will be time to consider copying any data you do not want to lose to an external storage device and running an HP recovery.

I do hope that you did create a recovery flash drive by use of the HP Recovery Media creation utility.  It isn't the end of the world if you did not.

The HP recover will put your notebook back to the state it was in when you purchased it.

If you did not create a recovery flash drive, you can still:

perform a Windows Reset

or

Download Windows 10 by use of Microsoft's media creator and perform a clean install of Windows 10. YOur activation license is coded into the BIOS. The OS will activate as soon as you go online. 

Drivers for your notebook are located at the support portal for your notebook.

https://support.hp.com/sg-en/product/HP-15-r100-Notebook-PC-series/7234951/model/7479842?sku=K1X44EA

Here is a direct link to the software and drivers download web document

https://support.hp.com/sg-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-r100-notebook-pc-series/7234951/model/7479842

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

With the external keyboard and mouse connected to your HP15-r150sa  notebook , press the power button and then immediately start tapping the Esc key.

See the following thread. I made a post with images to show how to use Firmware management to rollback to a previous BIOS.

If rollback does not work for you, just let me know. Send me a PM.

I can also ask a moderator to escalate your issue to an appropriate team at HP to resolve the issue for you.

Is your HP15-r150sa notebook still in  its warranty period?

Click on check warranty at the following HP web document and then fill in the required fields.

https://support.hp.com/sg-en/product/HP-15-r100-Notebook-PC-series/7234951/model/7479842?sku=K1X44EA

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I have already tried the tapping of the 'ESC' key with my laptop keyboard and it worked. I then pressed 'F11' to do a System Recovery but it didnt fix the problem.

Could you please send the link to the thread on how to use Firmware management to rollback to a previous BIOS?

Unfortunately, my laptop is outside its warranty period.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Power it on and immediately, start tapping the F2 key to invoke the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics. At the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics that appears, select Firmware Management. That is where you can select rolllback. It should be visible on the bottom of the Firmware Management window. Follow the prompts after that.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/How-to-Downgrade-BIOS-for-my-no...

I will notify the Moderator to escalate your issue. Just a heads up, out of warranty service is not free.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for contacting HP Support Forum

I do recommend to try a CBR which is a Crisis Bios Recovery

The Bios recovery applies only for laptops computers with these steps:

*When the computer is completely off , no lights on nor, fan running

* Press the windows Key on the keyboard (the one near the space bar with the four squares) togheter with the letter B key

* Hold both keys down, meanwhile you are holding , press and hold the power buttom 10 sec

* After the 10 secs , release just the power buttom and keep holding Windows+ B keys for 5 secs more

* After that you can release all the keys, it is normal if computer remains off. if it still off, press power buttom once

* it might go to black screen so wait to see if it run a BIos restore message on the screen and wait untill is done.

* if you dont have Bios update message on the screen, retry at least 2nd time same steps

* if your keyboard works to go to Esc and also to f11, I dont thing there is a hardware issue it is just software probably

** You can also try a system restore if previous steps dont work:

* Go tapping Esc when turning on  the computer/ go tap f11 once/ select troubleshoot / advance options/ system restore/ select a date before the day you performed the Bios update but not further than 15 days cause is less likely it would work.

* If you can still access to the computer you can check your current Bios Version in System information and its Date

* Go to Hp Website and enter the model or product number of your computer / go for software and drivers and check within the list the Bios versions available in the website. Download and run.

* Make sure to select the correct OPERATING System. You can check by holding windows keys+ Pause key.

I hope these steps can be helpful

Though I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution

HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice.

I was able to perform all of these steps except for the system recovery.

I was unable to perform this action as I did not have a recovery point before the date of the BIOS update.

I was able to perform all the other steps, which means that my keyboard, or at least my 'ESC' key, my 'F11' key, my 'Windows' key and my 'B' key all work on my laptop keyboard during start-up.

Unfortunately, these steps did not fix the problem for me. I am currently using a wired keyboard, plugged in by USB to write this.

If you need any more information for further steps, simply private message me.

Thanks for your help,

Hope you have some more ideas!

HP Recommended

It still isn't working for me and I find it very strange that the keyboard works during start-up, but when start-up is complete, it stops working.

HP Recommended

@Ryan_Pieswrote:

Thanks for the advice.

I was able to perform all of these steps except for the system recovery.

I was unable to perform this action as I did not have a recovery point before the date of the BIOS update.

I was able to perform all the other steps, which means that my keyboard, or at least my 'ESC' key, my 'F11' key, my 'Windows' key and my 'B' key all work on my laptop keyboard during start-up.

Unfortunately, these steps did not fix the problem for me. I am currently using a wired keyboard, plugged in by USB to write this.

If you need any more information for further steps, simply private message me.

Thanks for your help,

Hope you have some more ideas!

I think you meant to say system restore, not recovery. A recovery is HP and is data destructive. A system restore is a Windows feature and is not necessarily destructive or data.

Have you tried using a Linux Live edition on a USB flash drive? It does not involve installing Linux. It is a perfect means of troubleshooting your hardware and isolating the issue to either OS or firmware.

If keyboard works during the startup and in the BIOS (firmware), that means the issue is with your operating system (software).

HP Recommended

How would I do that?

HP Recommended

See the tutorial on the subject at the following link.

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-ubuntu

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.