Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

My hp pavillion dv9033cl started a few months ago to restart after i issued a shutdown.

The only way to prevent the computer from restarting is to remove the power plug.

Of course to power it back up you have to plug in the power plug.

This is annoying .

I have checked the power options,but maybe i overlooked something.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi

I found something that may help you

http://www.pcworld.com/article/247392/my_computer_reboots_when_i_tell_it_to_shut_down.html

Hope this helps.

***** Click the Thumbs UP (Like) on the Right to say 'Thanks'*****

****Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution”&"Thumbs up "if it solves your problem.****

-VJ

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

HP Recommended

I did uncheck the restart,but it still restarted.

I did look at the event viewer and system and found  errors with the service control mananger.

I clicked on one of them but microsoft,had no fix for it.

HP Recommended

Hi

In that case wat I would suggest is to Press F2 on startup go and run the start up test, Memory test and a HDD test if everything passes the run a system recovery

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01867418

Hope this helps.

****Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution”&"Thumbs up "if it solves your problem.****

-VJ

HP Recommended

I hit f2 on start up and got

microsoft windows recovery console

do not select this(debugger enabled)

windows xp media center  edition

I am running xp media center

I do see anywhere where I can run the start up test, Memory test and a HDD test

can you explain what you mean or where do I have to go to run these tests.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi

in that case try to Boot into BIOS and Run the test's from there.

Hope this helps.

-VJ

HP Recommended

From the boot menu on the diagnostics tab the only test is the hdd which was 61 mns and it ran without a

problem.

There was no start up or memory test listed to be run.on the diagnostics tab

HP Recommended

I restored the laptop from the error recovery partition..

Now If I physically push the power button if the computer is on it shuts down and does not restart.

However If I go to start, shutdown,then shutdown it shuts down and restarts.

with F8 I told it not to restart if there is an error.

Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hello. I am so sad for those who suffer this problem. I have had spent so many hours on the web to find a solution. The same happened to me when I upgraded my Probook 4540s to windows 10. First I realised bluetooth is no more operative and dissappeared from device manager. Then , my computer restarted every time I shut it down, wanting to bluetooth to work again, I guess. I read thousand of threads on the web in various websites. I applied every single solution offer, hoping it might turn to normal again. Never worked though. Then I gave it up to force to fix it. That is when the magic happened. Out of boredom I replaced my wi-fi card with the one installed on my spare laptop, accepting all the restarting thing, at least with an operative bluetooth. When my HP loaded up, bluetooth was working just fine, along my HP shuts down properly as I have shut it down thousands of time since then, out of joy.

My advice to fix this issue would be to replace any device which does not properly working, especcialy if you have done an OS upgrade. It would be the only solution for this kind of issues.

Good luck to all.

HP Recommended
I found a genius here.Thank you very much,been searching for a solution for the last three months..changing the wifi card solved the problem!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.