Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY Sleekbook 6-1090ee
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I got my HP Laptop a few weeks back from the repair shop. It was working fine, no lags, viruses, etc. So.......one day i decided to check system information to check if my laptop was compatible run a game. I was going through the information and i saw this:

System model: HP Envy Notebook 4 (ITS ACTUALLY 6)

My laptop was showing the serial number some R000000000000 and the serial number written back of my laptop is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Now i'm beginning to feel a little suspicious about what the heck happened to my laptop.

Laptop: ENVY Sleekbook 6-1090ee

Any help would be appreciated

Regards,

Sijo

(sorry if my english is bad:smileytongue:)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I suggest you contact the repair facility and ask them what they did to repair your notebook.

From what you wrote, it sounds to me like they replaced the motherboard with a used one from the envy 4, which probably uses the same motherboard as the envy 6.

The only major difference between the models would be the display screen size.

A used replacement motherboard would have a different serial number than the original one that came with your PC.

A repair shop would need a special HP BIOS DMI tool in order to change the serial number on the motherboard to match the one on the bottom of your PC's case.

So, if you are happy with the repair job they did, and the system specs are the same as they were before you sent the PC in for repair, I would not be overly concerned with the serial numbers no longer matching.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hello Sijo,

Press fn+etc key together to check for the serial number and model number on Windows 

you our may even download HP support assistant to see which serial number is correct.

All the best 

#hpexpertday

Regards;
Smiley
I am an HP employee
Please click the White Kudos star to say thanks for helping.
Please mark Accept As Solution if my help has solved your problem.
HP Recommended

Hi:

I suggest you contact the repair facility and ask them what they did to repair your notebook.

From what you wrote, it sounds to me like they replaced the motherboard with a used one from the envy 4, which probably uses the same motherboard as the envy 6.

The only major difference between the models would be the display screen size.

A used replacement motherboard would have a different serial number than the original one that came with your PC.

A repair shop would need a special HP BIOS DMI tool in order to change the serial number on the motherboard to match the one on the bottom of your PC's case.

So, if you are happy with the repair job they did, and the system specs are the same as they were before you sent the PC in for repair, I would not be overly concerned with the serial numbers no longer matching.

HP Recommended

Even in HP Support assisstant it is showing another serial number:smileysad:

HP Recommended

The specs are the same, so its not a problem right?

By the way, wouldn't envy 4 motherboard be a bit too small?

HP Recommended

Hello,

Yeah it's not an issue

Regards;
Smiley
I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

It is not a problem at all.

Just call the repair place and confirm that they did replace the motherboard.

That is the only way the serial number would be different, unless they used the special HP BIOS DMI tool to change the serial number on purpose, which of course makes absolutely no sense as to why they would do such a thing.

The motherboards would fit in either model.  It is just the case and display that are larger in the Envy 6.

HP Recommended

Hey Sijo,

if if serial number of pat the back side of laptop, and hips a is matching you need not hav to worry.

Regards;
Smiley
I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Do you mean if the serial number on the back of my laptop and the serial number diaplayed is same?

Its not.

The serial number behind my laptop is CND*******

And the serial number displayed is R000.. etc.

HP Recommended

Anyways, thank you Paul and Amreen for solving my problem 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.