Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
15-ba077sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hiya, I am trying to Boot and run Windows 10 64 Bit from My HP pavillion (15-ba077sa) laptop. I have (Hopefully 😉 ) created a bootable USB drive using "WinToUSB", However it doesn't seem to "see" the USB drive and doesn't want to boot from it.

I am currently using a Samsung FIT Plus USB 3.1 Flash drive .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You will have to continue to always select the USB flash drive from the F9 boot options menu to boot from W10 that is installed on the USB flash drive, until you replace the internal hard drive.

There is something called a Windows Boot manager which always wants to boot from the internal hard drive first, no matter what drive you select as the primary boot device.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

I would use the Media creation tool to automatically create a bootable W10 installation flash drive.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Your notebook is also supported by the HP cloud recovery tool which you can use to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

Either of the above methods would rule out not having created the bootable USB installation media correctly.

HP Recommended

thanks.

I was wondering if that would let me boot and run windoes from a USB drive - the internal hdd is corrupted. I was hoping not to replace it atm. I have one of the newer "small / stubby" USB drives which doesnt't stick out more than about 3-4 mm 😉

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

Unfortunately I don't know how you would be able to actually run W10 on an external drive. 

HP Recommended

Hiya, I read this article and was thinking of using "WinToUsb" " https://uk.pcmag.com/operating-systems/88253/how-to-run-windows-10-from-a-usb-drive "- However when the USB drive is inserted into the HP 15-0a077sa

it doesn't seem to list or see it on boot / startup.

I have briefly tried to update the bios without luck, as the HP website saved the new Bios" file to a USB drive - Which it then couldn't seem to see on Boot / Startup.

HP Recommended

The only suggestion I can offer would be to see if enabling legacy mode and disabling secure boot allows the PC to see the USB flash drive.

HP Recommended

Yes, Great that has worked...

When It boots up I now press the "esc" key and can see and select the USB HDD..

It has now finished setting up Windows 10 from the USB drive and also runs Windows 10 from the USB drive...

I now need to see If I can change the boot order I guess, so that it automatically boots from the USB HDD

I have changed the "legacy" bootup sequence to be USB HDD first, However currently when it starts up it displays "Press the ESC key for start up menu" for about 10 - 15 seconds, which if pressed, then displays, F1 System Information, F2 System Diagnostics, F9 Boot Device Options, F10 BIOS Setup, F11 System Recovery or ENTER Continue Startup.

If the ESC button is not pressed within 10 -15 seconds it tries to "recover" the internal HDD.

Either by selecting the boot order, or possibly by disabaling 

HP Recommended

Please ignore the last sentence 😉

HP Recommended

Hi:

You will have to continue to always select the USB flash drive from the F9 boot options menu to boot from W10 that is installed on the USB flash drive, until you replace the internal hard drive.

There is something called a Windows Boot manager which always wants to boot from the internal hard drive first, no matter what drive you select as the primary boot device.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.