Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15-ep0098nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP envy 15, running Windows 10, build 19401.508, the BIOS is as of 7/6/2020 (AMI F.02) which looks to be the most recent. I just got it 2 days ago and turned it on the first time today.

A few seconds after the computer goes into sleep mode, it turns on and restarts. On restart there's a little message that pops up on the screen " The operating system did not shutdown cleanly, reconstructing cache metadata, please do not interrupt this process."

I have no idea how to fix this, I've spent 4 hours searching the web. I've tried turning hybernate mode off and then back on, I've used the HP built in tools to make sure the computer is up to date (it is), I've checked that the BIOS appears to be the most recent (it seems to be), I've tried a power reset (where I hold the power key for 15 seconds after turning it off). I also disabled "fast startup", to no avail.

Anyone else had this issue? This is absolutely infuriating because the only way around it is to keep my computer on all the time which is totally unacceptable and at this rate I'm going to have to return this thing asap. I was really excited to get this laptop and it seems to be really well made, I'm amazed to have an issue like this on a new computer, utterly maddening.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Computer-restarts-after-going-t...

There was another issue with the same problem and the accepted solution doesn't work for me, there is no "Allow Hybrid Sleep" option in my computer. There is an option that says "Hibernate After" and it's already set to never If never turning off the monitor is the only solution this is a total joke and I'm going to have to return this thing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JRDog

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to back up your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows)You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

56 REPLIES 56
HP Recommended

@JRDog

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to back up your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows)You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP is absolutely ridiculous. I had some graphics issues and had to reset to factory settings 3 times within a week of getting my brand new Envy 1. Now 2 months in I get another weird problem of restart when laptop goes to sleep and the only solution HP has is to do another factory reset. That means 2-3 hours of setting up everything on my computer again. Ridiculous!

HP Recommended

@rohankataria 

I understand your concerns.

Please provide the correct product number.

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

From the HP support assistant

HP ENVY Laptop 15-ep0xxx  (ep0098nr)

Product number 3G675UA#ABA

HP Recommended

@rohankataria

Thank you for the information.

I would suggets you perform the system reset.

Windows 10 has a reset feature that repairs your computer by reinstalling the operating system. This feature is recommended for recovery because it reinstalls Windows 10 while either preserving your personal data and customizations or removing all your personal data.

You have a choice of two methods to reset your computer.

• If Windows 10 loads correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset in Windows in this document.

• If Windows 10 does not start correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset through Windows Recovery Environment in this document.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

I know the solution of all problems is to perform a system reset. If you read my post, I already told you that a system reset is something I don't want to do since it involves a lot of effort on my part. Also, I`m in month 3 of using this HP laptop and this is the third system reset I`m being asked to perform. I regret buying HP.

HP Recommended

@rohankataria

In that case, I would suggest you conatct our phone support and check for the option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

I just called HP support. After trying few diagnostics, all they could tell me is reset to factory settings! I`m not surprised.

HP Recommended

@rohankataria

Thank you posting back. 

As I mentioned earlier performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.