Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp15q-bu011tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have been using my laptop for around one year but never played games on it. Now that I started playing games, the games are accepting "low resolution" by default based on my laptop. But my laptop is having 2gb of AMD Radeon graphics card and then also games are not accepting the high or medium resolution. Whenever I run games and see my task manager, the Intel graphics go 50% or 70% but the AMD graphics card is 0% always. Please provide me a solution by which I can utilize my graphics card for gaming and other purposes.Screenshot (78).png

Screenshot (79).png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You may refer to the steps suggested in this support document for - HP Notebook PCs - Switchable Graphics on Notebooks Configured with Intel and ATI GPUs

Let me know the outcome!

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Abhinandankm I must let you know that the discrete graphics cards are system managed and there are no options to make the other work manually, it would automatically enable when the system needs it, 

while you respond to that, here's what you need to improve game performance if need be:

You may try the below steps, as even if the game is compatible with your system hardware it may have a slow performance because you are using the windows 8, 8.1 or 10 as the OS uses most of the CPU & graphics card usage, you might want to reduce the visual effects for windows to save the amount of CPU & Graphics card usage required to run your game properly.

Here's how you do it:

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings.
  • Type performance > choose to Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows. 
  • In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance.
  • click Apply and ok...this should do the trick.

If the issue persists, The best way to resolve the issue is to follow the suggestions of the HP Guided Troubleshooter:

Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.
(by the end of this document, all the issues should be resolved)

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on the post you feel, helped you the most, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This did increase some performance of my laptop, but still, I am not able to utilize my graphics card.

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying, @Abhinandankm,

I would suggest here is to uninstall the graphics card drivers from device manager:

Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand display adapters>then select the display drivers that are listed and right-click on it and uninstall the drivers.

Check the box that states delete the software for this device.

Now restart the computer and then update the Bios, Chipset and graphics card drivers on your PC either from our HP support website, using this link or download it using HP Support Assistant

Download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

I hope this should do the trick. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried these things and my notebook is up to date. Also there is a diver called "Switchable Graphics Driver" which never installs in my system ever. I have seen this every time I updated my notebook and its drivers. But whenever I am running some heavy algorithms, all I see is the Intel graphics performing not the Radon.

HP Recommended

You may refer to the steps suggested in this support document for - HP Notebook PCs - Switchable Graphics on Notebooks Configured with Intel and ATI GPUs

Let me know the outcome!

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.