Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows XP

I bought my laptop just over 4 years ago........I have made no changes to it or added any software apart from a mouse, but I keep getting that my copy of microsoft is not genuine and my desktop has turned black apart from the icons.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @di8, and welcome to the HP Forums! 

I'd be happy to help. Based on your description, I understand that despite making no operating system changes to your notebook you are seeing a 'copy of Microsoft is not genuine' message. The only think I can think to suggest is either to perform a System Recovery, or contact Microsoft. 

This document might help you: HP Notebook PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows XP, 2006 or Later).

If this satisfies your inquiry, please click the Accept as Solution button below to flag your post as solved. Thanks. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @di8, and welcome to the HP Forums! 

I'd be happy to help. Based on your description, I understand that despite making no operating system changes to your notebook you are seeing a 'copy of Microsoft is not genuine' message. The only think I can think to suggest is either to perform a System Recovery, or contact Microsoft. 

This document might help you: HP Notebook PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows XP, 2006 or Later).

If this satisfies your inquiry, please click the Accept as Solution button below to flag your post as solved. Thanks. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

d8i

HP sells laptops through a worlwide network of resellers, and while the OS that HP installs never expires, HP has little  control over the OS the resellers install, and this is not the first report of an OS expiring or becoming invalid.

If it was a legitmate installation of an HP OEM OS version, the System Recovery will work and will reactivate without problems.

If it was not, this long after the purchase, there is really nothing you can do -- since the reseller would have to provide you the legitimate license.

========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".
========================================================================

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.