Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion G7-1260us
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Apologize for re-posting same issue but re-stating for clarification. The computer works fine with default VGA graphics (poor), but shuts down almost immediately when Intel HD 3000 graphics are used. All hardware tests pass including the system board but the component test for video palette check fails.  I assume that is the Intel graphics chip but I don't know if it can be repaired or replaced....or will anything else cause the described problem? I have an almost identitical issue with a Macbook Pro with Intel High Res Graphics. Works fine with low res graphics aps so I fear that it is an unresolvable Intel embed issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Finally "pass" on all tests.  After replacing the CPU, Windows 7 began loading many, many updates. I downloaded the HP Vision Hardware Diagnostics for added verification and lo and behold all is well. Intel HD 3000 Graphics is working with Open GL 3D tests. 

Thanks.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi bmelton,

I took a look through your previous thread and it looks like you did get a failure ID from the diagnostics test. Looking through that it does look like there is a problem with the embedded GPU.

The embedded GPU is located on your processor (which appears to be an i3-2330m). To resolve the issue the processor would need to be replaced.

It looks like your system is out of warranty so the only repair options would be billable; I would recommend contacting HP Customer Support at +1 800 474 6836 and see what options are available. You would want to provide them with the following:

• Serial Number
  • Product Number
  • 24-character Failure ID (RK4D7Q-5ST84B-MFPV4K-Q29G03)

Based on the age of the system HP may not stock the parts anymore for the Pavilion G7-1260US - the Customer Support team would know for certain.

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks.

I think your answer is the solution. I just ordered a replacement CPU. If the Intel GPU is part of the processor that should solve the problem.

I will respond appropriately after installation.

HP Recommended

Just replaced CPU. Same result. Fails video palette check. If the Intel HD3000 graphics are actually imbedded in the CPU, I just replaced a bad CPU with another bad CPU. Possible but not likely. Again the machine works fine in safe mode or if I force the standard VGA driver to load and not allow the HD3000 drivers to load. Some sites imply that the HD 3000 is associated with the CPU but is not actually imbedded in the CPU. Does anyone know for certain?

HP Recommended

Really wierd. Went to safemode and disabled the hd3000 so the machine would not continue to shut down when not in safemode.  Rebooted and I am getting HD3000 graphics or a reasonable facimile...certainly not standard VGA. Checked to make sure that HD3000 was still listed in properties as disabled and it is. Baffled but happy.

HP Recommended

That is certainly a strange one, especially since the UEFI diagnostics detected a failure in the GPU and that is outside of a Windows environment when it tests. Agreed that it is unlikely to have two processors fail in the same way.

Intel HD graphics (and other integrated graphics) rely on system memory since they don't have their own memory to run by. You might want to run a memory test to be on the safe side.

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Finally "pass" on all tests.  After replacing the CPU, Windows 7 began loading many, many updates. I downloaded the HP Vision Hardware Diagnostics for added verification and lo and behold all is well. Intel HD 3000 Graphics is working with Open GL 3D tests. 

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I intended for the solution to be credited to Frederick_B but clicked on mymessage.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.