Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a Dell Active Stylus for my HP Spectre x360 13 inch model because of the generally better reviews than the HP Active pen. When the pen first arrived I had some trouble using it but it started working just fine after about 10 minutes of struggle. I used it two times after that without any trouble. But a week after that when I tried again, it just stopped working. The pen is not recognized by my laptop at all.

For the 15 inch model, there is a 'Touchscreen Controller Firmware Update' available on the HP website that says ' Provides active pen support'. But no similar firmware update available for 13 inch model.

I am not even sure what happened here since everything was working fine and now it's not. A firmware update would be a probable way to fix it.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
If it was working, then why would it be a firmware issue? Try replacing the battery.

I found with mine that if I put the stylus directly in my bag or pocket, that the buttons would continue to be pressed and it would not go into its low power state. I was going through batteries every 2 weeks. I since 3D printed a sleeve to protect it, and now get more like 2-3 months of battery life.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Is Dell stylus support HP machines mentioned on its specs ? You are asking HP to support another vendor's product here. From my view:

• No, HP won't support other vendor's products unless HP does not have equivalent products.
  • Dell may be very happy for HP (or other competitors) to support its products, it will sell more and laughing to the bank.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
If it was working, then why would it be a firmware issue? Try replacing the battery.

I found with mine that if I put the stylus directly in my bag or pocket, that the buttons would continue to be pressed and it would not go into its low power state. I was going through batteries every 2 weeks. I since 3D printed a sleeve to protect it, and now get more like 2-3 months of battery life.
HP Recommended

Why not try HP Active Stylus instead?  HP Active Pen is not compatible with your model.

HP Active Stylus
J4R51AA#ABL

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-active-pen

For more info: 
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05166879

HP Recommended

because it does not work so good as the Dell did, response is better en also the press function for thin and thick lines is better. however i looks like HP does not like that fact and stopped the Dell pen

HP Recommended

i find your excuus idiot. it is the software what makes the pen not working not only the hardware. other mouses and keyboard vendors work flawles for manny years on different computers from different venfdors. There are also manny people who buy a new video card and use it with ouot a problem on annyvendors computer.

just saying we do not support so it does not work is idiot.

Its like your printer cadrige software update, who stoped other cadrige from printing in HP  Printers, after the hole world says: what the hell is this, HP says sorry.  it is hp's  will that items do not to work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.