Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

What happened:
My HP Victus 16 laptop that I got just a month ago started showing issues with the screen. Yesterday while doing work, my screen went black and had to force shut down. The laptop continued to work normally that day, but today, the device's screen always turns black when it's about to load Windows 11 and I must force shutdown every time to get out from the black screen.

Interestingly, when I left the laptop turned off during the night, I've managed to briefly see the PIN code prompt before it turned black again. I can access Safe mode with no display issues.

What I tried to do:

1. I've tried disconnecting all of the external devices and the power to the laptop and held the power button for 2 minutes. The only difference was that the screen started flickering black when it was about to load Windows and then turned black again.

2. I've tried to run HP diagnostic in safe mode since it doesn't make the screen turn black, but it seems like safe mode doesn't allow for the program to work properly so it refused to diagnose.

3. I've tried to disable, and then - remove the Nvidia graphics card from the Device Manager. No difference was made.

Other comments:

When trying to boot the laptop normally, the Victus logo always shows up, but when the Windows is about to ask me to enter PIN code, it immediately blacks out, and I can also hear the boot up sound.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @lucutes1,

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I'd be happy to help you! 

I understand that you are having issues with your unit booting to the black screen.

I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve this issue by performing the necessary troubleshooting steps.

Experiencing a black screen when booting Windows 11 on your HP Victus 16 laptop can be quite frustrating. Since you have already reinstalled the graphics card drivers and performed a hard reset without success, here are some additional steps to help you troubleshoot and resolve the issue:

If your laptop boots successfully in Safe Mode, the issue may be related to a driver or startup program.

Step 2: Update BIOS and Firmware

Ensure your laptop's BIOS and firmware are up to date.

Visit the HP Support Website:

• Go to the HP Support website.

Enter Your Product Details:

• Enter your laptop's model number (HP Victus 16) and navigate to the drivers section.

Download and Install Updates:

• Download the latest BIOS and firmware updates and follow the provided instructions to install them.

Step 3: Disable Fast Startup

Fast Startup can sometimes cause boot issues.

Open Control Panel:

• Press Windows + R, type control, and press Enter.

Go to Power Options:

• Select Hardware and Sound > Power Options.

Change What the Power Buttons Do:

• Click Choose what the power buttons do on the left side.

Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable:

• Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.

Disable Fast Startup:

• Uncheck the box for Turn on fast startup (recommended) and click Save changes.

Kindly check the remaining steps in the next post. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please mark this post as Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi @lucutes1,

Here are the next set of steps. 

Step 4: Check for Display Issues

Ensure there are no issues with the display hardware or settings.

External Monitor:

• Connect your laptop to an external monitor to see if the issue persists. If the external monitor works, the problem may be with your laptop's display.

Display Settings:

• Boot into Safe Mode and check the display settings.
  • Right-click on the desktop and select Display settings.
  • Ensure the correct display is set as the primary display.

Step 5: Run System File Checker

Check for corrupted system files that could be causing the issue.

Open Command Prompt as Administrator:

• Press Windows + X and select Command Prompt (Admin) or Windows PowerShell (Admin).

Run System File Checker:

• Type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
  • Allow the scan to complete and follow any on-screen instructions.

Step 6: Perform a Clean Boot

A clean boot can help you determine if background programs are interfering with startup.

Open System Configuration:

• Press Windows + R, type msconfig, and press Enter.

Selective Startup:

• In the General tab, select Selective startup and uncheck Load startup items.

Disable Startup Programs:

• Go to the Services tab, check Hide all Microsoft services, and click Disable all.

Apply and Restart:

• Click Apply and OK, then restart your laptop.

Step 7: Check for Hardware Issues

If the issue persists, there may be a hardware problem.

Run HP Hardware Diagnostics:

• Restart your laptop and press F2 repeatedly to enter the HP Hardware Diagnostics.
  • Run the full system diagnostics to check for any hardware issues.

If you find any hardware issues or if the problem remains unresolved, contact HP Phone Support for further assistance or potential repairs.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please mark this post as Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi. So far what I've done since the last time:

#1 Reinstalled Windows 11 using the cloud system and then the Windows Media Creation tool using USB flash stick. Neither fixed the issue, but the difference was that I was able to "hold on" longer on the loaded desktop until it starts flickering and finally turn black again.

#2 Downloaded the latest BIOS from HP website while following their instructions. Installing it made no difference.

#3 I've checked Event Viewer for any boot logs. It showed no errors that would be related to the black screen.

As I understand, my last step would be to check the inside of my laptop, but knowing it's almost 1 month old I'm more tempted to just take it to the store and let them deal with it.

HP Recommended

Hi @lucutes1,

Excellent description and a great diagnosis. It is greatly appreciated.           

I believe you are right. That is a great idea to take it to the store as it's a brand new PC. 

Do keep us posted if anything in the future. 

I also recommend you contact phone support if needed as this unit might need service.

For that to happen, we will give you additional instructions/information via Private Message.

Please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Take care

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I haven't taken it to the store yet, but I think I know how to re-create the problem:

I had the laptop unplugged and didn't use it at all for 2 days. After that, I tried to turn it on (without plugging it in) and I was able to stay on Windows 11 home screen for hours straight without going black. But right when I plugged the charger into the laptop, it immediately went black. I assume it's the charging brick or the component inside the laptop is responsible for the issue? Either way, in the next few days I'll take it to the store to get it sorted out.

Thank you for spending your time to help me out! When the laptop gets fixed, I'll tell what was the problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.