Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
G60t-600 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have followed other threads with similar concerns but so far nothing has helped. Just to clarify the problem, I have my G60 Notebook set to go to sleep when the lid is closed. It goes to sleep after a couple seconds. When I open the lid it wakes up as evident by the fan and the hard drive light. The screen stays black. If I close the lit and imediatly open it, the notebook goes to sleep after a couple seconds but the lid is now open. If I press any key or swipe the mouse it wakes up and the screen wakes up as well. This has been happening ever since I updated to Win 10. The notebook starts properly and wakes from hybernation properly as well. I have tried power setting trouble shooter, disable hybrid boot, reset BIOS to default, update graphics and all other drivers, but the problem persists as described. I have not tried a reinstall of Win 10. The BIOS is ver F.62 12/25/2009. I can not find an update to the BIOS. I have a pentium processor but I do not have the Intel MEI installed on my notebook (don't know if I ever did). I tried installing Version 9.5.24.1790 1.5M but I get an error message "system does not meet minimum requirements." Are you aware of any other fixes to the wake up problem or suggestions for installing the Intel MEI?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @PapaDelta52,

Thank you for your inquiry.

I grasp that you have your notebook set to enter sleep mode when you close the lid.  When you open the lid you can hear the fan and  hard drive spin up, but the display remains black or blank.  If you press a key or move the mouse the screen responds.

You have tried the  power setting troubleshooter, disabling  hybrid boot, resetting the  BIOS to default, updating  graphics and all other drivers, but the problem persists.

When I checked the software and driver page for your notebook Windows 10 is  not a supported operating system.  HP has not tested Windows 10 on your model of notebook and the outcome is unknown.   This does not mean it will not work only that the outcome is unknown.  HP does not guarantee that Windows updates will have drivers.

Here is a link to  HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 😎 that may help.

Please let me know the outcome.

Thank you  for participating in the HP Forums! We want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue as yourself. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as   "Accept as Solution"   to help other community  members!

To show appreciation for my efforts, please click the   Thumbs Up icon   below.  

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Just to add clarification to your first paragraph. With the fan and disk drive running and the screen black, when I press any key or swipe the mouse, the screen stays black. With the notebook in this partially awake state, if I close the lid and immediatley open it, the notebook will again go back to sleep. From this configuration, asleep with lid open, I can fully wake the notebook with a keystroke or mouse swipe,

I have tried all the appropriate suggestions at HP Support, Sleep issues with Win 10 (the link you supplied) and none of them resolve my problem. However, one solution recommends downloading and installing a MEI Driver from Intel. I am unable yo find an MEI Driver for my notebook. Could you take a look and if you can find an MEI Driver for my G60 can you reply with a link?

Any othe solutions to try would be welcome as well

HP Recommended

HI @PapaDelta52,

Thank you for your update.

I understand that the troubleshooting steps in the document I provided has not helped.

In the document you will find a link "Intel"  click on it to display the Intel site with the MEI drives.

You can also try this as it will restore the power setting back to defaults.

• Click  and hold on the Windows key (lower left corner)
  • Go to Command prompt admin
  • Type  powercfg -restoredefautschemes  and press enter.

Please let me know the outcome.

Hope that helps. 

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I tried to restore the power settings to defaults and same problem.

I am not sure which intel MEI update that I would need to download. Does the G60 have an Intel Compute Stick, or the Intel NUC? I was wondering If you might be able to tell me which driver I need to download. But even before getting to that, I don't believe this laptop even has an MEI to update. In the Device Manager > System Devices, there is no Intel MEI shown.

Getting back to the exact problem, the lid switch does not properly wake the system from sleep mode. Before Win 10 it worked fine. With Win 10 it doesn't. What is it about the lid switch that Win 10 sees differently that older versions of Windows?

Is it possible that the lid switch on this laptop is incompatible with Win 10? I understand that products made years ago could never anticipate all the operating system changes years in the future. If there is nothing that can be done to fix this particular issue please let me know.

HP Recommended

Hi @PapaDelta52,

I am not sure if you were able to resolve your issue or not.  I am sorry I missed your post before, but am here now to assist you. 

The lid switch is just that an on/off switch,  It is the software that controls what the switch does. 

If you are still having the difficulty here is a link to HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 😎.

Next I would try restoring the power defaults. 

• Right click on the Windows button (lower left corner)
  • Choose command prompt admin
  • Type "powercfg -restoredefaultschemes" and press enter.

My next suggestion would be to do a refresh.  This will reinstall the operating system, but should not affect your personal files.

Should you like further assistance please provide your exact model of G60 notebook.

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Please consider clicking the "Thumbs Up Icon" below.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thanks for helping but it looks like this issue is a lost cause. I have spent so much time trying things that don't work. Without being able to replicate the problem in your tech labs, it is extremely unlikely that you can effectively diagnose and solve the problem. With so many different laptop models to deal with, it is understandable that you don't have one of each model to experiment with. The problem is more a nuisance that an limitation so I will just live with it. I don't care too much for work arounds but I can adjust. Thanks again for all that you have done.

HP Recommended

Hi PapaDelta52,

Thank you for your reply. I am glad to be of assistance.

I understand your frustration as a flickering display can be very distracting and annoying.

I would try restoring the power defaults as it should not take long and may help.

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I would like to add some info that I discovered while troubleshooting this problem. I discovered that when I close the lid on my G60 549dx to put the computer to sleep it works fine. When I lift the lid to wake the computer, like all the others, the screen stays blank.

I had my computer connected to an external monitor and discovered it was waking to the external monitor every time. How can I get it to wake to the built in monitor?

I bet if everyone connected to an external monitor they would have the same issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.