Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17-j180ea
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have a HP ENVY 17-j180ea with leap motion, I currently have a monitor connected to it, but I want to know can I add a third. And whats the best option to do it. It only has 1 hdmi socket and no other graphic outputs.

Windows 8.1

Product Number
F7T69EA
Microprocessor
Intel Core i7-4702MQ with Intel HD Graphics 4600 (2.2 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
Chipset
Intel HM87 Express
Memory
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM (1 x 4 GB, 1 x 8 GB)
Video Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M (4 GB DDR3 dedicated)
Hard Drive
1 TB SSD HD
Multimedia Drive
SuperMulti DVD burner
Display
43.9 cm (17.3") diagonal FHD LED-backlit touch screen (1920 x 1080)
Network Card
Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
Wireless Connectivity
802.11b/g/n (1x1); Bluetooth 4.0 combo
Sound
Beats Audio with 4 speakers and two Subwoofers
Keyboard
Full-size island-style backlit with numeric keypad
Pointing Device
HP Imagepad with multi-touch gesture support
External Ports
1 multi-format digital media card reader for SD cards
1 HDMI
1 headphone/microphone combo
4 USB 3.0 (1 Boost)
1 RJ45
Dimensions
41.6 x 27.52 x 3.34 cm
Weight
3.4 kg
Power
120 W AC power adapter
6-cell (62 WHr) Li-ion
Camera
Front-facing HP TrueVision HD Webcam with integrated dual array digital microphone

What setup I want.

[Monitor 1] ------ (Laptop)------[Monitor 2] (maybe Monitor 3)

I seen people do it with older laptops but never known how they do it.

Any help appreciated, even if its a No I can;t do it.

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Davidpne

If your laptop only has one video output jack, you can only connect one monitor to that jack.

However, there are USB-to-Video adapters available that can connect monitors via VGA or DVI -- depending on the adapter.

Understand, though, that you are limited in the bandwidth of the connector and the USB port.  You're not going to see the same resolution and performance with a monitor connected to a USB adapter as you do with a monitor connected via a VGA, DVI, or DP port.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Davidpne

If your laptop only has one video output jack, you can only connect one monitor to that jack.

However, there are USB-to-Video adapters available that can connect monitors via VGA or DVI -- depending on the adapter.

Understand, though, that you are limited in the bandwidth of the connector and the USB port.  You're not going to see the same resolution and performance with a monitor connected to a USB adapter as you do with a monitor connected via a VGA, DVI, or DP port.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Just an update on this, thank you very much, I had a few dodgy ones off ebay, but then got a Maplin one ok more expensive but it actually works. If you going to try these, pay the extra money, I lost everything on my Laptop and had to re-install as the driver crashed it. The Maplin one worked perfect and used online software. Thanks for the help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.