Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY - 15t-as100 CTO Model
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP ENVY - 15t-as100 CTO

Model #: W0Q62AV

I tried to extend the display to two additional monitors:

One via HDMI port

One via USB Type-C to HDMI adaptor

However, I can only extend to montior via HDMI port on laptop. The one via USB Type-C to HDMI adatpor doesn't get any display signal.

Changing to HP Zbook 15 G3 and keeping the same setup, it will work to extend to two addtional monitors.

How to make ENVY laptop to work same as Zbook 15 G3? Don't see any technical hurdle to achieve that.

Why Envy laptop dones't support that. Did I miss something here or need to change any setup? Look forward to an answer soon.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Aymyra,

Welcome to the HP community. 🙂 A very good day to you. 🙂 After reading your post I see that you require assistance regarding extending the display using your Type “C” to HDMI adapter. It will be a delight to assist you here. 🙂

Superb analysis and brilliant diagnosis of the issue before posting. 🙂 Kudos to you on that score. 🙂 You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. It has been an absolute pleasure to work with you. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Have you tried to use only the Type C to HDMI adapter to connect to an external monitor without connecting the computer’s HDMI port?
  • To assist you better, I would require the exact model# of the computer to check the product specifications and also to the user guides.

From what I can gather right now, you have not missed much. It is possible that your Type “C” connector does not support video or the graphics card has a limitation and does not support extending the display via a type C port. You’ve done stupendous and fabulous troubleshooting by connecting the HP Zbook and checking that it works and this computer does not. Hats off tp you for a job superbly done. 🙂

It can be deduced that this notebook has a limitation regarding the graphics card or the type C connector that may not support video output using an HDMI convertor.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.  🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll always be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had the same experience, which drew me to this page.  I see that it has almost 300 views.  I'm thinking others also had this experience.  The reply was pretty useless.  It can be deduced that it doesn't work????  Ok.  Not helpful.  Is it supposed to work is the essence of the question.  The people that are here for this help, including the original poster, are aware it doesn't work. 

HP Recommended

Ok, so after much research . . . . the answer is . . . not supported in this device.  It wasn't easy to find out.  Looked in the manual, bios, intel, the sites that promote displayport, etc. etc. etc.   

You can still buy a USB 3.0 external video card, or an external hub with video output, and plug this into your USB A 3.0 port.  Watch out on amazon for the cheap ones.  Most or all of the reveiws are fake.  Expect to pay $50 to $75 for an external card, and $80 to $150 for a hub.  

This is a lot more expensive than a simple 3.0 C to hdmi solution, and it ads some bulk usually, but oh well.  It is what it is.  

I didn't need a true hub as my keyboard / mouse are already wireless, and I only plug in the two external monitors.  So I just got an external video card with two ports, that supports between 1 and 2 monitors. I'll use the included internal hdmi for one, and this card for the other.  Make sure you use the device mfgr current drivers. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G5OAT88/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.