Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 14-ce0505sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I'm trying to connect two external monitors to my laptop, however I only have one hdmi port on my laptop. I bought a USB-C to HDMI converter from belkin, to allow me to connect the free port on my laptop to the monitor. I have checked on the laptop specifications that the USB-C port is not a data transfer only port, it can also transfer video.

When I connect the second monitor to the adapter and into my laptop port, the monitor says "no hdmi data from your device".

I have tried various things such as updating drivers, reinstalling windows-10,  diagnostics testing my components and I cannot seem to find the issue. I also tired the various hardware checks such as switching the monitors and switching the HDMI cables.

I had one message that said "display connection might be limited", but this message only came up once and I never saw it again. However after reading some of the problems and solutions, I have the same issue as others, whilst they also received the limited display message.

Can anyone give me advice on what to do?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi@Jakebrady900, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Request you to follow the below troubleshooting steps that should fix the issue.

1. Update the HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors)
  2. Intel® Driver & Support Assistant  the Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics, drivers 
  3. Windows Update.
  4. GEFORCE EXPERIENCE 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Keep me posted. Happy to help!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Hi,

I've tried updating the BIOS driver already.

I downloaded the linked Intel support assistant, which only suggested that I needed to download a newer fast storage driver (which I did but is not relevant to my problem)

I updated to the newest version of windows 10 on 10/Feb.

I also downloaded and installed the GEFORCE experience which is linked, however I do not see what I am to do with the application...it just seems to be extended features relating to gaming.

An issue I think seems to be important is that when I open the NVIDIA control panel on my laptop, It only displays the 3D settings. This may suggest that the video output is actually being done by the intel graphics card (which is probably not capable of out putting to two separate monitors). I considered changing the default graphics card in the BIOS boot-up to the NVIDIA, but decided against it because if there is an error, it will be almost impossible to restore the laptop.

HP Recommended

Hi@Jakebrady900,

The unit is a consumer segment. The said combination is not tested by HP. So, the functionality is not guaranteed.

As you can see, its USB-C port does NOT support video out. At this stage, a docking station using USB-A ports still is a good choice. If you wish to have 2 or more external monitors, please enter your requirement on the following link and it will find for you few options on the market today including some HP products:

https://www.displaylink.com/products/universal-docking-stations

or try following HP docks

https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04168358

Keep me posted. Happy to help!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.