Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Thanks!

HP Recommended

This worked for me on my Lenova so it's not restricted to HP.

HP Recommended

Accept as Solved

HP Recommended

I'm using a laptop with an external monitor and would like to be able to shut the laptop lid and still project the image on the external monitor.

Specifically, I'd like to be able to do the following, without having to manual change the settings everytime I connect/disconnect the external monitor or open/close the laptop lid:

When the laptop is NOT connected to the external monitor:

* View the image on the laptop screen

When the laptop IS connected to the external monitor:

* View the image on the laptop screen AND external monitor, when the laptop lid is OPEN.

* After closing the laptop lid, have the image disappear from the laptop screen, but remain on the external monitor.

* After opening the laptop lid, have the image re-appear on the laptop screen (and remain on the external monitor).

Here are my system details:

* Laptop: HP Envy dv6

* External Monitor: HP Compaq LA2205wg

HP Recommended

Thank you, for your short direction. It worked:catembarrassed:

HP Recommended

It works, Thanks!

HP Recommended

I was able to get to the display screen but it only shouws that I have one display.  How do I get the other one to show? I recently switched from Windoiws XP to Windows 7.  

HP Recommended

This worked for me! I am also trying to close my laptop lid and keep the display on my second screen viewable while on an Anker USB 3.0 docking station.  

I tried the other method of selecting "Do nothing" in the power save settings when I 'close my lid' and this still turned off my 2nd screen. 

KUDOS!!!

HP Recommended

Hi there @xscape9822,

It looks like somehow your post slipped through the cracks. I am happy to help you if you have not already resolved it in the time that has passed.

If you do still need help with htis issue, please post the full product number and verify the operating system in use on your notebook (presumably still Windows 7). See the following, if you need help with that information.
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Once I have that information, I can check for the support pages in case there is a driver issue due to the change in operating system.

Please let me know.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
1|2 appears because you have duplicate screens setting on. Change to extend screen. This will separate the two monitors.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.