Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

The laptop:

HP Envy TouchSmart 15 Notebook PC (15-j173cl)

Windows 8.1 Pro

The problem:

I use an external monitor, so my laptop is usually shut.  Randomly, my touch screen THINKS something is touching it, which disrupts whatever I'm doing.  I would like to disable the touch screen completely, as I do not use it at all.

I thought maybe the latch wasn't closing properly, but the screen resolution changes when I shut the laptop, so it KNOWS it's closed and switches to the proper resolution for my external monitor, but it DOES NOT disactivate the touch screen, and some dirt or something is touching it, changing where my mouse is pointed, where I am typing, etc.

I have tried cleaning the screen and keyboard with compressed air.

The problem happens randomly; sometimes when I CAD for the day, sometimes after hours of working.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @rockspeak 

Welcome to the HP Forums.

I see that you're looking to disable the touch feature in your notebooks display. I will help you with this.

You can do this by going into Device Manager > click the + or > by Human Interface Devices > right click on HID-compliant touch screen > choose disable. This will have disabled the touch ability.

Let me know if this works for you.
Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

I worked on behalf of HP.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello, @rockspeak 

Welcome to the HP Forums.

I see that you're looking to disable the touch feature in your notebooks display. I will help you with this.

You can do this by going into Device Manager > click the + or > by Human Interface Devices > right click on HID-compliant touch screen > choose disable. This will have disabled the touch ability.

Let me know if this works for you.
Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

hellow good afternoon  i just need some help my laptop  i cant use a tourch in my sceen

HP Recommended

how set the touch screen in my hp envy core i7 nootbook 15,ram 8gb

HP Recommended

I sure hope u can help me. This morning my touch screen stopped working. I can't even scroll to get to my tiles..

Raven5858

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.