Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
x360 14m
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HI! I am connecting (via HDMI) an external display to my laptop. When I do, the display locks on 640 x 480 resolution when I choose "Show only on 2" in display settings, but shows 1366x768 on Duplicate, and 3840x1080 in Extend. None of these can be changed, except lowered in Extend. My monitor is 3840x1080. How can I get it to show the full resolution on "Show only on 2"?

I am looking at the Advanced Display settings to get these numbers. Both the Desktop Resolution and Active Signal Resolution will drop to the numbers above when I change to Duplicate or Show on only 2.

Here's my troubleshooting so far:
- Tons of Googling. Every basically says make sure everything is updated. Which...

- "Updated" my display driver a billion times. I've installed generic drivers through device manager, and ones directly from HP, supposedly for this model, and Intel, for the U620 specifically.

-Updated my computer fully. Everything to the optional updates.

-Completely factory reset my laptop. After being exasperated after hours of troubleshooting, I reset it, and it didn't fix anything. 

-After the factory reset, I tried the above steps again.

I consider myself fairly tech savvy, so any ideas to help would be great. This laptop is supposed to act just as a low-powered host to my remote desktop, but it doesn't work if I'm stuck to 720p 16:9 on my 32:9 1080p monitor.

I was about to quit and assume my laptop, for whatever reason, couldn't output more than a 720p signal. But then I changed it to "Extend", and it showed the full resolution on my external monitor (albeit at 60hz instead of 144hz, but I'll take what I can get). So now I'm not sure what the problem is.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi@Zarstine,

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I understand when you power on your laptop the screen resolution issue.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Does the issue persist in BIOS?

Let's start off by updating the Bios, Chipset, and graphics card drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer to this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Try these steps -

Search for and open Display settings. You can also right-click the desktop and open Display settings. Scroll down and click Advanced display settings. In the Display adapter properties, click Display adapter properties.

Click on the Monitor tab to adjust the Screen Refresh Rate from the drop-down menu. 

If the issue still persists, try re-installing the driver - 

1) In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select Device Manager from the list of results.

2) In Device Manager, expand Display Adapter. 

3) Right-click on the Display Adapter, and then select Uninstall device > Delete the driver software for this device check box > Uninstall.

4) Restart the computer. 

Also, try updating the computer using these steps -

Step 1 Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 

2) Check for updates. 

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 

2) Check for updates. 

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

I understand you want to know if there is a screen calibration that can make your screen look better than the other monitor's you have,

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details:

What is the product number of your product? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 

When was the last time it worked without these issues? Have you attempted a system restore?

About the other 3 computers, are they similar models or different ones?

In the meantime, please try the steps mentioned on this link: Click here

Please reply with the details for further assistance.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.