Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy 13-ab007na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

i have the new hp Envy 13-007na edition with Usb-c.

i am attempting to use the usb port for video output ( as i need 60hz for 4k) 

however i plug in a usb-c to display port adaptor and attach a Display port cable to the monitor. But nothing happens.

windows not the screen pick anything up at all. I've never had issues on other laptops just this one,

please can someone advise.

thanks

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Anyone?

HP Recommended

Hello, @Ninja-tiger - Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! I'd like to be of your assistance!

Going through your post, I see that you are trying to use the USB-C port to transfer video output. You are using the USB-C to display port adapter to get this done.

But, for video output, your USB-C laptop or tablet must support DisplayPort Alt. Mode over USB-C. Not all USB-C ports will be set up to display video. I am afraid the Envy 13 only supports the HDMI mode. Hence, I would suggest using the HDMI port on the laptop to connect the monitor.

Check http://hp.care/2proNOf for additional details.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi,

you may have saved me some wasted time as your Tech Support team said its faulty!

just working this out you said "the Envy 13 only supports the HDMI mode. Hence, I would suggest using the HDMI port on the laptop to connect the monitor."

If i had a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 will this work.

Reason im doing this is im using a 4k tv and the built in HDMI port only does 30hz on HDMI so need to find another way to fix this.

Thanbks for the help.

Matt

HP Recommended

Hello, @Ninja-tiger

That was fast! I was still researching on the subject when I read your reply 😉

Like I said in my previous post, for the video output over the USB-C, it should support the display port as the alt. mode. USB-C Alt Mode allows devices to deliver video signals and USB data over a single USB-C cable. I checked the specs and the user manual for this particular model and it seems that it is not supported. Check http://hp.care/2prMZjy for details.

When I further checked, this mode is more common in the business notebooks and not with a consumer product. Also, did you try using the using the high-speed HDMI cable? it would support a 4K resolution but with 30fps.

Let me know if that helps!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi THanks for the speedy reply 😄

it seems like there is a very big mix of opinion, your sales team and support team seem to believe it is capable of Display over usb-c.

i cant seem to find anything on either side of the answer even the manual doesnt seem to say 100% no it just doesnt mention it. it's odd as i had a 1st gen spectre prior to this and that did it fine - oddly even my xpx from dell ( work) does it. 

also i need the 4k on 60fps for editing im doing ( and films to watch).

thats why i made sure the usb-c did what i needed 😕

HP Recommended

Hello, @Ninja-tiger

You are right, it's not very clear in the user manuals 😞

Alternatively, are you using an HP USB-C DisplayPort adapter? Also, try lowering the resolution from 4K and check.

Thanks, have a great day!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended
No definatly not 😞 someone needs to redo that I think.

I'm using a non hp one - it works on my spectre without issues. Sadly I can't lower the resolution as the pc doesn't enable the 2nd screen. It can't see it 😞

I spoke to sales and support and they seem to be under the impression it will work. As they said usb-c is supposed to be the new magical port that does everything.

Where exactly did you find it won't work. I feel HP have a bit of a mystery on their hands 😂
HP Recommended

Hi @Ninja-tiger,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I did check the product specifications and see that you do have USB 3.1 Type-CGen1, unfortunately, this would not support the external display. Connects a USB device, such as a cell phone, camera, activity tracker, or smartwatch, and provides data transfer.

For more details, please follow this link.

Product Specifications - Click here

User Guide(Please search for USB 3.x) - Click here

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.