Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Spend some time on trying to fix my issue, which seem pretty similarly to what other are reporting:

Problem: The display goes black intermittently, rendering the notebook unusable

Product: Spectre 13, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500, SSD

Circumstances:  The problem occurs if and only if the machine is connected to wifi.

Ran the computer all day yesterday, with wifi turned off, and with a hard-wired ethernet connection.  Works great.  And, it really is a nice machine.

Feels like the wifi is causing my problem, not the display driver.  eg, the wifi driver is writing to memory that is reserved for the display. So, it crashes constantly.

I saw that HP has a wifi new driver as of today, 12/28:  Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Driver  -  Intel Corporation  -  18.30.0.9 

so I thought maybe that would fix the problem.  But, apparently not, tried it, same problem.

This feels like HP's job to publish the right combination of bios, chipset, and drivers that work property.

HP:  Do you agree that this is your job to identify the fix here?  And, if so, do you have an update on status?  And, any idea of timeframe?

thanks, michael

HP Recommended

On the Intel forums this problem is discussed also.

They suggested installing a new video driver and it seems to work.

That driver was first in beta stage but now it's in final available.

Unfortunately we can't install this driver, we have to wait until HP

decides to relaese a new video driver.

I hope someone from HP looks into this, I have the feeling this forum

is run only by people like us.

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem with my HP Probook 440 G2. Did you solve your problem ?

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. Just bought my HP Envy in Dec. 15. This problem has been going on for months with other users and w/ me ever since I started using it. If it isn't fixed w/in a week its going back.

WAKE UP HP!!!!

HP Recommended

yes, I have this issue with my hp laptop, I just got it back in nov. 

HP Recommended

2 pages of the same problem and not one solution. (Remember a solution is something that works) HP thinks we are supposed to solve this problem ourselves, that's why they have this message board isn't it?

They need to provide a solution throughautomatic updates and soon

HP Recommended

Same problem here too. Mine is HP Envy 15t (ae100) with integrated graphics.

HP Recommended

Anybody has any idea if its a hardware or software related problem?

HP Recommended

Seems like a software problem to me.  Others have reported that Intel has an updated HD Graphics driver.

This morning my HP Support Assistance (I like this app btw) notified that a new HP HD Graphics driver was available.  So, of course I updated the driver, which is surely one of the likely suspects for this problem.

Rebooted the machine and turned on wifi.  ZAP!  The display goes black.  Some problem, no difference, with wifi turned on, the display goes black every few seconds.  Runs fine with a hard-wired ethernet connection.

The hardware for graphics, wireless, and processor are Intel, whereas the OS is Microsoft, right?  Perhaps, Intel and Microsoft had a little "You did it.  NO, YOU did it" issue....

Perhaps HP has enough clout to fix this for us....

I hope I did something wrong...Please, friends, tell me it's working for you.

HP Recommended
What kind of browser are you guys using? I have been having the same problem for over 10 days. Nothing worked. Today I just downloaded Chrome and it's working fine til now. It still turns black when using explorer
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.