Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre 360X - 2016, Win10 64-bit
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to run 2 external monitors. When I shut down or put laptop in sleep mode, and then restart, the HDMI external monitor connects every time. The DisplayPort refuses to reconnect.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@BlaineC1, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Does the monitor work fine as the only monitor connected to the laptop via display port? By this we can check the port functionality.

If it doesn't work with one monitor either, it could be an issue with the port. However, if it works fine with one monitor but has issues when two monitors are connected, let us try these steps: 

Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Also, check for any pending Windows update. Reboot the PC once done.

Make sure the BIOS is updated. Click here to download latest BIOS

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@BlaineC1, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Does the monitor work fine as the only monitor connected to the laptop via display port? By this we can check the port functionality.

If it doesn't work with one monitor either, it could be an issue with the port. However, if it works fine with one monitor but has issues when two monitors are connected, let us try these steps: 

Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Also, check for any pending Windows update. Reboot the PC once done.

Make sure the BIOS is updated. Click here to download latest BIOS

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar,

Thanks for your reply. If I boot the laptop with no external monitors connected, then plug one monitor into the DisplayPort port, it is recognized and functions as expected. Then I can add the HDMI monitor and both monitors work. 
If I shut the machine down and disconnect the monitors, I can never be sure if they will both be recognized when I start the laptop up again. If I unplug the DisplayPort monitor when it has been working, the laptop will switch to only one external monitor as expected, but if I try to reconnect the DisplayPort the laptop will fail to recognize the monitor. I have to do everything in exactly the right sequence for it to work. In other words, apparently the DisplayPort is not “hot swappable”

HP Recommended

@BlaineC1

Did you run the HPSA as suggested by Kumar?

If the issue persists, update the Graphics Driver from Device Manager and also ensure you have updated the BIOS

- Select the Start  button, type Device Manager, and select it from the list of results.
- Look for Display Adapters and expand the List
- Look for Graphics driver then right-click it, and select Update Driver.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
- If these steps don't work, try reinstalling the driver: Open Device Manager, right-click the Graphics driver and select Uninstall. Restart your PC and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I updated the BIOS.  The video driver was already the latest version so it wouldn’t update it. 

Looks like the BIOS update fixed it. I can unplug and replug the DisplayPort plug and the 2nd monitor is recognized every time. 

HP Recommended

@BlaineC1

I'm glad you got this issue resolved

Do visit our HP Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.