Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY13-aq1131ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Simple question:

Does the USB-C display port 1.2 supported connection also support displayport alternate mode?

If not, what are the options for connecting 2 monitors/projectors to the laptop?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@envy13-aq1131 The user guide & the service maintenance guide is not specific to your model, it's for the entire Envy 13 series, hence it wouldn't be accurate, however, the product specifications page I had shared initially is for your particular model and that specifies that the HP USB-C to Display Adapter Port supports an Alternate Mode & that is DisplayPort 1.2 as per the articles shared earlier,

For more details refer to this article: click here

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@envy13-aq1131 Welcome to HP Community!

You have 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C™ that supports the following features:

• 5 Gb/s signaling rate,
  • Power Delivery 3.0,
  • DisplayPort™ 1.2,
  • HP Sleep and Charge

As per the product specifications on your HP page: click here to verify

For details on how the USB Type-C works: click here

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply, however, your list does not answer the question on whether the DP1.2 connections does support DP 1.2 Alt Mode transmission protocol which is a sub-protocol on DP1.2 as far as I am able to tell.

From other forum entries it appears that some Envy 13t's *only* support Alt Mode, without it actually being listed in the specifications of the connections in the Maintenance and Service guide (e.g. last reply here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Does-Hp-Envy-13t-have- DisplayPort-over-usb-C-or-not/td-p/6909197).

Specifically Looking at the User Guide (http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06261486)  and the Maintenance Guide (http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06271813) for the specific model there does not mention the Alt Mode protocol for the DP1.2 connection, however, as mentioned above the user feedback on the forum suggests the guides just do not mention any protocol and do in fact only communicate with the Alt Mode protocol.

Considering the conflicting information, I am looking for more information or an official response on the issue, for example what kind of display adapter component is built in without having to take the laptop apart to be able to check the manufacturers details on whether the adapter supports the Alt Mode protocol, if HP does not have that information at hand. 

HP Recommended

@envy13-aq1131 The user guide & the service maintenance guide is not specific to your model, it's for the entire Envy 13 series, hence it wouldn't be accurate, however, the product specifications page I had shared initially is for your particular model and that specifies that the HP USB-C to Display Adapter Port supports an Alternate Mode & that is DisplayPort 1.2 as per the articles shared earlier,

For more details refer to this article: click here

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My apologies, I somehow completely missed the second link. Thank you very much for your help!

HP Recommended

You are welcome @envy13-aq1131

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.