Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13-w0XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Considering this new revision has been out for about a couple months now, I am really surprised that no one has posted about this yet. My question is simply exactly as the title says.

Does the newest HP Spectre x360 13-w0XX that has the new Kaby Lake i7 support two 4k displays? I know that because of having Thunderbolt 3 ports, it has the right connections to support it. I guess the real question is can the Intel Graphics 620 support that? I know it can support one 4k display, but not seen anything about dual 4k displays. 

I just recently purchased this lap top, and I love it so far. However 1 of the main reasons I bought it was because it was 1 of very few lap tops on the market with Thunderbolt 3. I think the only Windows laptop that had not only 1 but 2 of them. So if this laptop has the ports to support dual 4k without a graphics card that can, then that will be incredibly disappointing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The Zbook 15 G3 I had (actually loaned to me by HP for this Forum) drove 2 4K monitors with only Intel 520 video. I later added a video card (again, not possible on most laptops) and it improved the performance but it did work with just the Intel graphics. If it works with the 520 video it will work with the 620 video on Kaby Lake. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The Intel HD 620 is fully able to drive a pair of 4K monitors. I did it from a Skylake i7-6th gen and Intel 520 video on the Zbook 15 G3 through the Zbook Tbolt 3 dock. I did find that the video performance with the 520 was a little laggy so I did upgrade it to the nVidia M2000M (can't do that on most laptops) which runs a pair of 4Ks smooth as silk, even for gaming video. I know the 620 is more powerful than the 520. It should perform OK. 

HP Recommended

Thanks! I got off the phone with HP support earlier. They did not know at first.So he had to do research and call me back. He did call back to tell me it will work "with a 3840x2160 display." I told him "I know, but it will work with 2 of them at the same time?" He said yes, but he seemed a little hesitant. 

Anyways thanks for your first hand experience. That is definitely helpful! But I looked up the G3 on HP's website says the specs also have a dedicated AMD FirePro graphics card. Mine just had the Intel 620 graphics only, no dedicated graphics. So I am still a little skeptical. All of this leads me to believe that my new laptop will work with two 4k, but still skeptical that it won't be a smooth refresh rate . 

Anyone else have first hand experience with using just the Intel Graphics 620 for two 4k? Is it pretty smooth?

HP Recommended

The Zbook 15 G3 I had (actually loaned to me by HP for this Forum) drove 2 4K monitors with only Intel 520 video. I later added a video card (again, not possible on most laptops) and it improved the performance but it did work with just the Intel graphics. If it works with the 520 video it will work with the 620 video on Kaby Lake. 

HP Recommended

Interesting: I can't get anything to work on the USB-C serial ports other than the charger.  I have a USB type C to HDMI adapter which claims to be compatable with Thunderbolt but does nothing.

Is there a compatibility list?  I keep returning this stuff to Amazon which is ok I guess but its getitng kind of old.

HP Recommended

I got a Segate 2 TB external drive this morning which has a USB 3 interface, the funny "B" looking port.  I did a backup and image with the cable included which plugs into my regular USB 2 port.

So I was at Frys tonight and thought, "Hey, I'll get a USB C to USB 3 cable and get the faster USB 3 speed."  Plugged it in and guess what?  Nothing.  Nada.  Drive didnt even power up.

So far on this machine the only thing I've been able to use the USB C ports for is charging.  I have installed all the latest drivers but the ports don't do anything.  I'd swear they werent even wired up except it does charge through the ports.

Something is bad wrong - or there is some trick I dont know in order to make the USB C ports work.  So far I'm O - for - three with USB C.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

HP Recommended

And the trick is!!!

The connection to the USB C port must be made last.  I hooked everything else up first, then plugged into the USB C port and it all works.  Both the external hard drive and the HDMI adapter now work.   

Interesting, when I ran diagnostics on the USB ports the type 2 port checks out but both USB C ports fail.  As long as everything works I suppose I can just ignore that...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.