Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G3, Product Number L3C67AV
Linux

Hi,

I took over from someone else a used HP Elitebook 840 G3.

I want to replace the display panel by one with a larger resolution. The current one has a resolution of 1366x768 (and it hurts my eyes actually). In the maintenance guide I see that there is a Full HD and a QHD panel option. Do you know if I can actually replace the panel I have by the QHD panel, keeping all the other components unchanged (like the display cable)? Following the reasoning of someone in a thread about a 820 G3 (rough citation: “there is only one display cable sold, so it cannot make a difference and should work with the higher resolution”), it should be possible. But there is also this thread about replacing a Full HD panel by a QHD one in a 840 G3, which leaves a doubt (because the conversation stops in the middle, discussion about number of pins). Do you have advice or even experience on that?

Edited to add: According to this online shop, the HD screen's video connector has 30 pins, the Full HD connector has also 30 pins, but the QHD one has 40 pins. This is in line with the other thread I linked. So this might suggest that QHD does not work.

Edited to add: Also, QHD replacement parts seem to be either expensive or out of stock. So I'll concentrate my plan on the replacement with a Full HD panel.

Best regards,

Jolly

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I bought the Full HD panel on Amazon and successfully replaced the old panel following the maintenance guide on pages 76ff. There was a hidden additional screw at one of the hinges that I had to remove on step 4; at the left hinge on the picture; to remove it, I removed some more screws to be able to bend the metal/plastic enough so I could reach the screw with a screwdriver. Finally, the notebook recognised the new panel without problems, and I am on full HD resolution now.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I bought the Full HD panel on Amazon and successfully replaced the old panel following the maintenance guide on pages 76ff. There was a hidden additional screw at one of the hinges that I had to remove on step 4; at the left hinge on the picture; to remove it, I removed some more screws to be able to bend the metal/plastic enough so I could reach the screw with a screwdriver. Finally, the notebook recognised the new panel without problems, and I am on full HD resolution now.

HP Recommended

I found this thread when googling to replace the FHD (1920x1080) display in my 840 G3 for a QHD (2560x1440) display.

Since there was no description on how to do this I had to find out for myself.

Here's what I found:
The 1366 and the 1920 panels use a 30pins connector on the screen itself. The QHD panel uses a 40 pins connector. But the cable that runs to the motherboard reaches the exact same connector on the motherboard. 
Replacing the lower resolution screens for the QHD one on a HP Elitebook 840 G3 means you will have to remove and replace the cable with the 30 pins connector for the 40 pins one. Embedded in this cable is the wiring for the webcam and microphone on the top of the display. The cables are fed through the hinge so you will need to remove this as well.

I got this to work and am currently typing from the 840 G3 with a QHD screen.

It's not the easiest job, but if you are already willing to replace the screen you might as well.

Hope this helps the next person who tries to google this ;).

HP Recommended

I'm trying as well to upgrade from the (rather awful) TN 1080p panel to the QHD one (AUO B140QAN01.0), but I'm unable to find the exact part number for the 40 pin eDP cable, and as you said, the manual lists only one? Could you please state the part number of the 40 pin cable?

HP Recommended

Hi SonicBoom,

Unfortunately I was able to salvage the QHD screen from a broken 840 G3 and was therefore able to exchange the cable to the motherboard too.  So I don't have a part number.

Sorry...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.