Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm having trouble getting an Iiyama 34" monitor to work at its native resolution (3440x1440) with the Elitebook 840 G6. Here are the details:

1. Connected to an LG 34UM88 – P 34” 3440x1440@60Hz monitor via HDMI as the only display, the Elitebook works perfectly with the monitor operating at full resolution.

2. When connected to the Iiyama ProLite XUB3493WQSU-B1 34" UWQHD (3440x1440) monitor as the only display via HDMI, the maximum resolution available is 2560x1440. The 3440x1440 option is not listed in windows display settings. The monitor reports (via its OSD) being connected at 2560x1440@60Hz (H.Frequency:89KHz). FreeSync is automatically disabled

3. The same quality HDMI cable was used to test each monitor.

At this stage, I cannot see why the Elitebook 840 will not recognize the Iiyama monitor as being 3440x1440 and make that resolution available through Windows display settings. What am I missing here?

LG  monitor 34UM88-P specs are:

UWQHD 3440x1440 IPS Display

HDMI (v2.0) 

DisplayPort (v1.2)

Thunderbolt

Iiyama monitor specs are:

UWQHD 3440 x 1440 IPS Display

HDMI (v2.0)

DisplayPort (v1.2)

The Elitebook 840 G6 has the Intel i5 8365U CPU, 16GB RAM, Win 10 64bit.

Thanks

Mark

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@MSony2019 

Sounds like machine knows the LG monitor but it does not know the other monitor. Please contact vendor and get driver for it.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks, much appreciated. 😉

A VESA compliant monitor should provide the OS with EDID when connected/interrogated and this, amongst a bunch of other stuff, tells the OS what resolutions are supported. I guess what we are seeing here is that the monitor isn't providing this data or the data is wrong or it is being ignored and the OS is referencing its own database. As you suggest, I'm in touch with Iiyama about this.

Sadly, the solution may not be as easy as installing additional drivers. The Elitebook is being used in a secure application with a locked-down build and policy prohibits such changes from being made - by anyone. It's beginning to look as though the Iiyama will have to be exchanged for a different make/model.

Thanks again. I'd welcome advice from others who have dealt with a similar problem.

M

HP Recommended

@MSony2019 wrote:

... A VESA compliant monitor should provide the OS with EDID

@MSony2019 

Sorry, I have not heard that. Looks like the machine is not yours. I used to work with a company and they supplied all equipment for me to work from home, The supplied exactly hardware as on my desk at work, they also setup for me same thing when I worked offsite. I only had to carry the notebook around (no need to carry charger).

And yes, I could not install other software/driver or anything. Do you use different monitor at work ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

The Iiyama monitor was bought for home use with the EliteBook. We had the LG monitor on hand and used it to verify that the resolution (3440x1440) was supported and it was - no problem. The Iiyama was then ordered for the user (a new LG wasn't available to purchase) because of the near-identical spec.

Just checked and Iiyama don't list drivers for this monitor. 😞  I will write again to Iiyama as haven't heard back from them yet.

Life was never meant to be simple. 

M

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.