Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15-df1013tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can you help to get my external monitor to display?

I have an Alogic USB-C Travel Dock Essential (sold to me with the HP Spectre Laptop).  The dock is plugged into one of the USB-C ports and I wish to connect my external monitor via an HDMI cable.  This was working previously and the only thing I remember that may be relevant was a pop-up window relating to NVIDIA display.  The external monitor will only work via the HDMI port on the laptop but I need to plug in another display via the dock HDMI port.  The sounds are heard when plugging in and out so it is recognised but just nothing on the external screen.  I thought of trying to change the setting so it uses the Intel Graphics display adapter instead of the NVIDIA but cannot find a setting to configure this.  I have two display adaptors:

1.  Intel (R) UHD Graphics 630

2.  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 with Max-Q Design

Under Monitors in the Device Manager there are two:

1.  Generic PnP Monitor (my laptop screen)

2.  SD590_S27D590P (my Samsung external monitor)

When I look at Devices in the Control Panel my external monitor (which is currently plugged into the HDMI port) is named with (NVIDIA High Definition Audio) underneath.

So, to recap... I want to plug my external monitor into the HDMI port of the docking station that connects to my laptop via the USB-C port but when I do this there is no display on the external monitor, despite it being recognised.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@Facepumpkin

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Is the docking station a type-c or thunderbolt dock?

Let us know 🙂

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Let's perform a test here:

• Make sure the power cord and adapter is connected to the system and wall outlet.
  • Press and hold the power button until the computer turns off completely.
  • Turn on the computer.
  • Immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second, until the UEFI Hardware Diagnostics screen is displayed.
  • In the UEFI Main menu, select Component Tests.
  • In the Component Tests menu, select USB Port.

Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Let us know 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your assistance.  Both USB-C ports passed the test.  I've included some screen pics as perhaps the red text is relevant?118714055_1263912973942729_4293672897866065484_n.jpg118693001_964151267422029_4558405656344350475_n.jpg118789816_315092002931142_4713883159925270349_n.jpg

HP Recommended

I'm unable to see the pictures, Could you send it again?

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

118789816_315092002931142_4713883159925270349_n.jpg

HP Recommended

118693001_964151267422029_4558405656344350475_n.jpg

HP Recommended

They will not post in accordance with HP privacy policy as my PC serial number is showing.

HP Recommended

@Facepumpkin

Thank you for posting back. 

Have you tried connecting external display without dock?

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.